Output Fluctuations at the Plant Level
AbstractThis paper studies weekly output fluctuations from 1972 to 1983 at fifty final assembly plants in the U.S. automobile industry. The study makes use of a new data set that contains detailed information on plant operations. The main findings of the paper are: (1) Even at the simplest fabrication and assembly plant, there are a variety of margins on which production quantities are adjusted; (2) The production adjustment margins appear to have very different dynamic characteristics; and (3) The analysis of plant level data can lead to conclusions that are dramatically different from those reached using aggregated data, even though the data are driven by industry-wide shocks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 4105.
Date of creation: Jun 1992
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Bresnahan, Timothy F. and Valerie A. Ramey. "Output Fluctuations At The Plant Level," Quarterly Journal of Economics, 1994, v109(3), 593-624.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zvi Griliches & Jacques Mairesse, 1991.
"Comparing Productivity Growth: An Exploration of French and U.S. Industrial and Firm Data,"
in: International Volatility and Economic Growth: The First Ten Years of The International Seminar on Macroeconomics, pages 45-82
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998. "Comparing Productivity Growth: An Exploration of French and U.S. Industrial and Firm Data," NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 157-186 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi & Mairesse, Jacques, 1983. "Comparing productivity growth: An exploration of french and U.S. industrial and firm data," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1-2), pages 89-119.
- Zvi Griliches & Jacques Mairesse, 1982. "Comparing Productivity Growth: An Exploration of French and U.S. Industrial and Firm Data," NBER Working Papers 0961, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S, 1989.
"Labor Demand and the Structure of Adjustment Costs,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 674-89, September.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1988. "Labor Demand and the Structure of Adjustment Costs," NBER Working Papers 2572, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1990. "Gross Job Creation and Destruction: Microeconomic Evidence and Macroeconomic Implications," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1990, Volume 5, pages 123-186 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1981. "Departures from marginal-cost pricing in the American automobile industry : Estimates for 1977-1978," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 201-227, November.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1981. "Retail Inventory Behavior and Business Fluctuations," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 12(2), pages 443-520.
- Blanchard, Olivier J, 1983.
"The Production and Inventory Behavior of the American Automobile Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 365-400, June.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 1982. "The Production and Inventory Behavior of the American Automobile Industry," NBER Working Papers 0891, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Haltiwanger & Russell Cooper, 1992.
"The Aggregate Implications Of Machine Replacement: Theory And Evidence,"
92-12, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Cooper, Russell & Haltiwanger, John, 1993. "The Aggregate Implications of Machine Replacement: Theory and Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 360-82, June.
- Russell Cooper & John Haltiwanger, 1990. "The Aggregate Implications of Machine Replacement: Theory and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 3552, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aizcorbe, Ana M, 1992. "Procyclical Labour Productivity, Increasing Returns to Labour and Labour Hoarding in Car Assembly Plant Employment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(413), pages 860-73, July.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.