Comparing Productivity Growth: An Exploration of French and U.S. Industrial and Firm Data
In: International Volatility and Economic Growth: The First Ten Years of The International Seminar on Macroeconomics
AbstractThis paper compares and analyzes the growth of productivity in the manufacturing industries and firms in France and the U.S. based on newly assembled comparable data sets in both countries. Three explanations of the recent productivity slowdown are reviewed: shortfall in physical investment, rise in materials prices, and a decline in the intensity or fecundity of R&D investment, and found not to bear on the differences in productivity growth between and within the two countries, either at the industry or the firm levels.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
This chapter was published in:
This item is provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Chapters with number 11676.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Griliches, Zvi & Mairesse, Jacques, 1983. "Comparing productivity growth: An exploration of french and U.S. industrial and firm data," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(1-2), pages 89-119.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998. "Comparing Productivity Growth: An Exploration of French and U.S. Industrial and Firm Data," NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 157-186 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches & Jacques Mairesse, 1982. "Comparing Productivity Growth: An Exploration of French and U.S. Industrial and Firm Data," NBER Working Papers 0961, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zvi Griliches & Jacques Mairesse, 1981. "Productivity and R and D at the Firm Level," NBER Working Papers 0826, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nordhaus, William D., 1982.
"Economic policy in the face of declining productivity growth,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 131-157.
- Nordhaus, William D., 1982. "Economic policy in the face of declining productivity growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 131-157.
- William D. Nordhaus, 1981. "Economic Policy in the Face of Declining Productivity Growth," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 604, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Michael Bruno, 1981. "Raw Materials, Profits, and the Productivity Slowdown (Rev)," NBER Working Papers 0660, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.