Communication in Cournot Oligopoly
AbstractWe study communication in a static Cournot duopoly model under the assumption that the firms have unverifiable private information about their costs. We show that cheap talk between the firms cannot transmit any information. However, if the firms can communicate through a third party, communication can be informative even when it is not substantiated by any commitment or costly actions. We exhibit a simple mechanism that ensures informative communication and interim Pareto dominates the uninformative equilibrium for the firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics in its series UWO Department of Economics Working Papers with number 20121.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Reference Centre, Social Science Centre, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5C2
Phone: 519-661-2111 Ext.85244
Web page: http://economics.uwo.ca/research/research_papers/department_working_papers.html
Cournot oligopoly; communication; information; cheap talk; mediation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
- D82 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Asymmetric and Private Information; Mechanism Design
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-11-03 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2012-11-03 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CTA-2012-11-03 (Contract Theory & Applications)
- NEP-GTH-2012-11-03 (Game Theory)
- NEP-IND-2012-11-03 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MIC-2012-11-03 (Microeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sandeep Baliga & Tomas Sjostrom, 2003.
"Arms Races and Negotiations,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
618897000000000766, David K. Levine.
- Balinga, Sandeep & Sjostrom, Tomas, 2001. "Arms Races and Negotiations," Working Papers 3-01-2, Pennsylvania State University, Department of Economics.
- Sandeep Baliga & Tomas Sjostrom, 2001. "Arms Races and Negotiations," Economics Working Papers 0007, Institute for Advanced Study, School of Social Science.
- Sandeep Baliga & Tomas Sjostrom, 2001. "Arms Races and Negotiations," NajEcon Working Paper Reviews 391749000000000005, www.najecon.org.
- Sandeep Baliga & Tomas Sjostrom, 2001. "Arms Races and Negotiations," Levine's Working Paper Archive 391749000000000005, David K. Levine.
- Gal-Or, Esther, 1985. "Information Sharing in Oligopoly," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 329-43, March.
- Johannes Horner & Massimo Morelli & Francesco Squintani, 2010.
"Mediation and Peace,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
661465000000000133, David K. Levine.
- Horner, Johannes & Morelli, Massimo & Squintani, Francesco, 2011. "Mediation and Peace," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 67, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Johannes Horner & Massimo Morelli & Francesco Squintani, 2010. "Mediation and Peace," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1765, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Johannes Hoerner & Massimo Morelli & Francesco Squintani, 2011. "Mediation and Peace," Economics Working Papers ECO2011/19, European University Institute.
- Johannes Horner & Massimo Morelli & Francesco Squintani, 2010. "Mediation and Peace," Economics Working Papers ECO2010/32, European University Institute.
- David Hugh-Jones & David Reinstein, 2010.
Jena Economic Research Papers
2010-068, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Peter Cramton & Thomas R. Palfrey, 1991.
"Cartel Enforcement with Uncertainty About Costs,"
Papers of Peter Cramton
90ier, University of Maryland, Department of Economics - Peter Cramton, revised 09 Jun 1998.
- David Genesove & Wallace P. Mullin, 1997.
"The Sugar Institute Learns to Organize Information Exchange,"
NBER Working Papers
5981, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David Genesove & Wallace Mullin, 1999. "The Sugar Institute Learns to Organize Information Exchange," NBER Chapters, in: Learning by Doing in Markets, Firms, and Countries, pages 103-144 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Genesove, D. & Mullin, W., 1997. "The Sugar Institute Learns to Organize Information Exchange," Working papers 97-3, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Kai-Uwe Kühn, 2001. "Fighting collusion by regulating communication between firms," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 16(32), pages 167-204, 04.
- Vida, Péter & Āzacis, Helmuts, 2013.
"A detail-free mediator,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 81(C), pages 101-115.
- Gossner, Olivier & Vieille, Nicolas, 2001. "Repeated Communication Through the Mechanism And," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6031, Paris Dauphine University.
- Subir K. Chakrabarti, 2010. "Collusive Equilibrium In Cournot Oligopolies With Unknown Costs," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 51(4), pages 1209-1238, November.
- Okuno-Fujiwara, Masahiro & Postlewaite, Andrew & Suzumura, Kotaro, 1990. "Strategic Information Revelation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(1), pages 25-47, January.
- Watson, Joel, 1996. "Information Transmission When the Informed Party Is Confused," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 143-161, January.
- GOSSNER , Olivier & VIEILLE, Nicolas, 1998. "Repeated communication through the mechanism “and”," CORE Discussion Papers 1998056, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1991. "Game Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061414, December.
- Liu, Luchuan, 1996. "Correlated Equilibrium of Cournot Oligopoly Competition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 544-548, February.
- Goltsman, Maria & Hörner, Johannes & Pavlov, Gregory & Squintani, Francesco, 2009. "Mediation, arbitration and negotiation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 144(4), pages 1397-1420, July.
- Vives, Xavier, 1984. "Duopoly information equilibrium: Cournot and bertrand," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 71-94, October.
- Chirantan Ganguly & Indrajit Ray, 2013. "Information-Revelation and Coordination Using Cheap Talk in a Battle of the Sexes with Two-Sided Private Information," Discussion Papers 13-01r, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.