From old to new developmentalism in latin America
AbstractThe failure of the Washington Consensus and of macroeconomic policies based onhigh interest rates and non-competitive exchange rates to generate economic growthprompted Latin America to formulate national development strategies. Newdevelopmentalism is an alternative strategy not only to conventional orthodoxy but also toold-style Latin American national developmentalism. While old national developmentalismwas based on the tendency of the terms of trade to deteriorate and, adopting a microeconomicapproach, proposed economic planning and industrialization, the new nationaldevelopmentalismassumes that industrialization has been achieved, although in differentdegrees by each country, and argues that, in order to assure fast growth rates and catching up,the tendency that must be neutralized is that of the exchange rate to overvaluation. Contraryto the claims of conventional economics, a capable state remains the key instrument to ensureeconomic development, and industrial policy continues to be necessary; but whatdistinguishes the new approach is principally growth with domestic savings instead of withforeign savings, a macroeconomic policy based on moderate interest rates and a competitiveexchange rate instead of the high interest rates and the overvalued currencies prescribed byconventional orthodoxy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil) in its series Textos para discussão with number 193.
Date of creation: 26 Jun 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Rua Itapeva, 474, 13o andar, CEP 01332-000, São Paulo - SP
Phone: 55 (011) 3799-3350
Fax: 55 (011) 3799-3357
Web page: http://eesp.fgv.br
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luiz Carlos Bresser-Pereira & Paulo Gala, 2008. "Foreign savings, insufficiency of demand, and low growth," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 30(3), pages 315-334, April.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2006.
"The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2121, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2006. "The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 29-46, Fall.
- N. G. Mankiw., 2009. "The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 5.
- Pereira, Luiz Carlos Bresser, 2009. "From the national-bourgeois to the associated dependency interpretation of latin America," Textos para discussÃ£o 185, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Bresser Pereira, Luiz Carlos, 1993. "Economic reforms and cycles of state intervention," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 21(8), pages 1337-1353, August.
- Bresser Pereira,Luiz Carlos, 2010.
"Globalization and Competition,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521144537.
- Pereira, Luiz Carlos Bresser & Nakano, Yoshiaki, 2002. "Economic Growth With Foreign Saving?," Textos para discussÃ£o 118, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Salvatore Monni & Massimo Pallottino, 2013. "Beyond growth and development: Buen Vivir as an alternative to current paradigms," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0172, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Núcleo de Computação da EPGE).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.