The Global Financial Crisis and a New Capitalism?
AbstractThe 2008 global financial crisis was the consequence of the process (1) of financialization, or the creation of massive fictitious financial wealth, that began in the 1980s; and (2) the hegemony of a reactionary ideology-namely, neoliberalism-based on self-regulated and efficient markets. Although laissez-faire capitalism is intrinsically unstable, the lessons of the 1929 stock market crash of 1929 and the Great Depression of the 1930s were transformed into theories and institutions or regulations that led to the "30 glorious years of capitalism" (1948–77) and that could have helped avoid a financial crisis as profound as the present one. But it did not, because a coalition of rentiers and "financists" achieved hegemony and, while deregulating the existing financial operations, refused to regulate the financial innovations that made these markets even riskier. Neoclassical economics played the role of a meta-ideology as it legitimized, mathematically and "scientifically," neoliberal ideology and deregulation. From this crisis a new democratic capitalist system will emerge, though its character is difficult to predict. It will not be financialized, but the glory years' tendencies toward a global and knowledge-based capitalism in which professionals have more say than rentier capitalists, as well as the tendency to improve democracy by making it more social and participative, will be resumed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Levy Economics Institute in its series Economics Working Paper Archive with number wp_592.
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.levyinstitute.org
Financial Crisis; Neoliberalism; Deregulation; Financialization; Political Coalition;
Other versions of this item:
- Luiz Carlos Bresser-Pereira, 2010. "The global financial crisis and a new capitalism?," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 32(4), pages 499-534, July.
- E30 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- P1 - Economic Systems - - Capitalist Systems
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-HPE-2010-10-30 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2010-10-30 (Post Keynesian Economics)
- NEP-REG-2010-10-30 (Regulation)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davidson, Paul, 1972. "Money and the Real World," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(325), pages 101-15, March.
- George A. Akerlof, 2009. "How Human Psychology Drives the Economy and Why It Matters," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1175-1175.
- Thomas Piketty & Emmanuel Saez, 2003. "Income Inequality In The United States, 1913-1998," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 118(1), pages 1-39, February.
- Bresser Pereira, Luiz Carlos, 1993. "Economic reforms and cycles of state intervention," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 21(8), pages 1337-1353, August.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2006.
"The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer,"
NBER Working Papers
12349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- N. G. Mankiw., 2009. "The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 5.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2006. "The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 29-46, Fall.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2006. "The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research 2121, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Gala, Paulo Sérgio de Oliveira Simões & Pereira, Luiz Carlos Bresser, 2008.
"Why foreign savings fail to cause growth,"
Textos para discussÃ£o
159, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Luiz Carlos Bresser-Pereira & Paulo Gala, 2009. "Why Foreign Savings Fail to Cause Growth," International Journal of Political Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 38(3), pages 58-76, September.
- Bresser Pereira,Luiz Carlos, 2010.
"Globalization and Competition,"
Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press,
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521144537.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2009.
"Banking Crises: An Equal Opportunity Menace,"
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
7131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- José Gabriel Palma, 2009. "The revenge of the market on the rentiers," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(4), pages 829-869, July.
- Pereira, Luiz Carlos Bresser, 2008. "Crises financeira nos anos 1990 e poupança externa," Textos para discussÃ£o 172, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973.
- Pereira, Luiz Carlos Bresser & Nakano, Yoshiaki, 2002. "Economic Growth With Foreign Saving?," Textos para discussÃ£o 118, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Fontana, Olimpia & Godin, Antoine, 2013. "Securitization, housing market and banking sector behavior in a stock-flow consistent model," Economics Discussion Papers 2013-13, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Suleymanov, Elchin & Alirzayev, Elvin, 2013. "Government Role During The Global Financial Crisis," MPRA Paper 51592, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 18 Nov 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marie-Celeste Edwards).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.