Reconciling the evidence of Card and Krueger (1994) and Neumark and Wascher (2000)
AbstractWe employ the original Card and Krueger (1994) and Neumark and Wascher (2000) data together with the changes-in-changes (CIC) estimator to re-examine the evidence of the effect of minimum wages on employment. Our study reconciles the controversial positive average employment effect reported by the former study and the negative average employment effect reported by the latter study. Our main finding, which is supported by both datasets, is that the controversial result remains valid only for small fast-food restaurants. This finding is accompanied with a new possible explanation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT) in its series Working Papers with number 24.
Date of creation: 29 Apr 2011
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Olli Ropponen, 2011. "Reconciling the evidence of Card and Krueger (1994) and Neumark and Wascher (2000)," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(6), pages 1051-1057, 09.
- J38 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Public Policy
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guido M. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2008.
"Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation,"
NBER Working Papers
14251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido W. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2009. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 47(1), pages 5-86, March.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2008. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," IZA Discussion Papers 3640, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Guido Imbens & Jeffrey Wooldridge, 2008. "Recent developments in the econometrics of program evaluation," CeMMAP working papers CWP24/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- David Neumark & William L. Wascher, 2008. "Minimum Wages," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262141027, June.
- Yatchew,Adonis, 2003.
"Semiparametric Regression for the Applied Econometrician,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521012263, October.
- Yatchew,Adonis, 2003. "Semiparametric Regression for the Applied Econometrician," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521812832, October.
- William Wascher & David Neumark, 2000. "Minimum Wages and Employment: A Case Study of the Fast-Food Industry in New Jersey and Pennsylvania: Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(5), pages 1362-1396, December.
- Essi Eerola & Teemu Lyytikäinen, 2012. "On the role of public price information in housing markets," Working Papers 30, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.