Minimum Wages and Employment: Replication of Card and Krueger (1994) Using the CIC Estimator
AbstractWe employ the original Card and Krueger (1994) data and the CIC estimator to reexamine the evidence on the effect of minimum wages on employment. Our main finding is that the controversial result remains valid only for small fast-food restaurants. This finding is accompanied with a new possible explanation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 25181.
Date of creation: Apr 2010
Date of revision:
CIC estimator; employment; minimum wage; nonlinear treatment effect models;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J38 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Public Policy
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence F. Katz & Alan B. Krueger, 1992.
"The effect of the minimum wage on the fast-food industry,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 46(1), pages 6-21, October.
- Lawrence Katz & Alan Krueger, 1992. "The Effect of the Minimum Wage on the Fast Food Industry," Working Papers 678, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Katz, L.F. & Krueger, A.B., 1992. "The Effect of the Minimum Wage on the Fast Food Industry," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1584, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Alan B. Krueger, 1992. "The Effect of the Minimum Wage on the Fast Food Industry," NBER Working Papers 3997, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2008.
"Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3640, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Guido W. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2009. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 47(1), pages 5-86, March.
- Guido M. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2008. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," NBER Working Papers 14251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guido Imbens & Jeffrey Wooldridge, 2008. "Recent developments in the econometrics of program evaluation," CeMMAP working papers CWP24/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- repec:pri:indrel:678 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stephen Machin & Alan Manning, 1994.
"The effects of minimum wages on wage dispersion and employment: Evidence from the U.K. Wages Councils,"
Industrial and Labor Relations Review,
ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 47(2), pages 319-329, January.
- Machin, S.J. & Manning, A., 1994. "The effects of minimum wages on wage dispersion and employment: evidence from the UK wages councils," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- repec:fth:prinin:298 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.