Productivity and its Drivers in Finnish Primary Care 1988-2003
AbstractWe measure productivity changes of primary care in Finland between 1988 and 2003 as a ratio of key services produced and real operating costs. In the second stage we estimate a truncated regression model that quantifies the contribution of certain internal and exogenous factors to productivity. We use newly developed techniques to correct asymptotic bias in non-parametric efficiency scores and bootstrap the confidence intervals for the explanatory model parameter estimates. The bias accounts on average 2.8 percent decrease in efficiency level. From 1997 to 2003 the average productivity declined 13.7 percent; the result is insensitive to estimated bias. Even if standard parametric confidence intervals do not generally apply when efficiency scores are regressed, our bootstrapped intervals are almost equal to parametric ones. Of the correlates used the increased income subject to municipal taxation accounted for three percentage points of the productivity decrease. The correlates, that are expected to decrease the need of primary care services, had a negative impact on productivity, implying that health centres have not been able to adjust their resource usage correspondingly. Organisational changes that have taken place within primary care have not resulted in desired productivity improvements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT) in its series Research Reports with number 118.
Date of creation: 29 Dec 2005
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-07-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2006-07-09 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-HEA-2006-07-09 (Health Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Mihály Simai, 2003. "Practical Guide for Active National Policy Makers - what Science and Technology Policy Can and Cannot Do?," Research Reports 103, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art," Papers 9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Newhouse, Joseph P., 1994. "Frontier estimation: How useful a tool for health economics?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 317-322, October.
- Takis Venetoklis & Jaakko Kiander, 2004. "Spending Preferences of Public Sector Officials. Survey Evidence from the Finnish Central Government," Research Reports 114, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Erkki Siivonen & Arto Luoma & Jani Luoto, 2003. "Growth, Institutions and Productivity: An empirical analysis using the Bayesian approach," Research Reports 104, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Kneip, Alois & Park, Byeong U. & Simar, L opold, 1998. "A Note On The Convergence Of Nonparametric Dea Estimators For Production Efficiency Scores," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(06), pages 783-793, December.
- Tsybakov, A.B. & Korostelev, A.P. & Simar, L., 1992. "Efficient Estimation of Monotone Boundaries," Papers 9209, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- O. B. Olesen & N. C. Petersen, 1995. "Chance Constrained Efficiency Evaluation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(3), pages 442-457, March.
- Takis Venetoklis, 2001. "Business Subsidies and Bureaucratic Behaviour," Research Reports 79, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Juha Laine & Miika Linna & Unto Häkkinen & Anja Noro, 2005. "Measuring the productive efficiency and clinical quality of institutional long-term care for the elderly," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 245-256.
- Unto Häkkinen, 2005. "The impact of changes in Finland's health care system," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(S1), pages S101-S118.
- Leopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"A general methodology for bootstrapping in non-parametric frontier models,"
Journal of Applied Statistics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(6), pages 779-802.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1998. "A General Methodology for Bootstrapping in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Papers 9811, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Jaakko Kiander & Reino Hjerppe, 2004. "Technology Policy and Knowledge-based Growth in Small Countries," Research Reports 110, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Juho Aaltonen & Antti Moisio & Kalevi Luoma, 2007. "Secessions of Municipal Health Centre Federations: Expenditure and Productivity Effects," Discussion Papers 425, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Juho Aaltonen, 2007. "Determinants of Health Care Expenditures in Finnish Hospital Districts 1993-2005," Discussion Papers 429, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.