Data Envelopment Analysis as a Complement to Marginal Analysis
AbstractThe consideration in the present study is mainly conceptual. The objective is to show how Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) can be used to reveal the true input-output relations in an industry. In the estimation of a production function it is assumed that all firms use the existing technology efficiently. However, in the real world the observed firms produce homogeneous outputs with differences in factor intensities and in managerial capacity. Hence, inefficiencies are hidden in the estimated production functions. In order to overcome this drawback of the parametric approach and to reveal the true nature of the input-output relations in production, given the available technology, the DEA approach is applied. In this study DEA is applied in order to select the farms that utilize efficiently the existing technology, allowing the estimation of a production function that reveals the true input-output relations in sheep-goat farming, using farm accounting data from a sample of 108 sheep-goat farms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Greek Association of Agricultural Economists in its journal Agricultural Economics Review.
Volume (Year): 07 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Research Methods/ Statistical Methods;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art,"
9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Kneip, A & Park, B-U & Simar, L, 1996.
"A Note on the Convergence of Nonparametric DEA Efficiency Measures,"
9603, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- KNEIP, Alois & PARK, Byeong U. & SIMAR, Léopold, 1996. "A Note on the Convergence of Nonparametric DEA Efficiency Measures," CORE Discussion Papers 1996039, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Leopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000.
"A general methodology for bootstrapping in non-parametric frontier models,"
Journal of Applied Statistics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(6), pages 779-802.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1998. "A General Methodology for Bootstrapping in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Papers 9811, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Tsybakov, A.B. & Korostelev, A.P. & Simar, L., 1992. "Efficient Estimation of Monotone Boundaries," Papers 9209, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Lau, Lawrence J & Yotopoulos, Pan A, 1971. "A Test for Relative Efficiency and Application to Indian Agriculture," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(1), pages 94-109, March.
- Rajiv D. Banker & Robert F. Conrad & Robert P. Strauss, 1986. "A Comparative Application of Data Envelopment Analysis and Translog Methods: An Illustrative Study of Hospital Production," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(1), pages 30-44, January.
- Yotopoulos, Pan A., 1968. "On the Efficiency of Resource Utilization in Subsistence Agriculture," Food Research Institute Studies, Stanford University, Food Research Institute, issue 02.
- S. Illeris & G. Akehurst, 2001. "Introduction," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 1-4, January.
- Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin, 1977. "Some Further Evidence on the Use of the Chow Test under Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(5), pages 1293-98, July.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "Recent developments in DEA : The mathematical programming approach to frontier analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Corbo, Vittorio & Meller, Patricio, 1979. "The translog production function : Some evidence from establishment data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 193-199, June.
- Mickael Lothgren & Magnus Tambour, 1999. "Bootstrapping the data envelopment analysis Malmquist productivity index," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(4), pages 417-425.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.