Atmospheric Pollution and Consumption Patterns in Spain: An Input-Output Approach
AbstractThis paper analyses the relationship between Spanish household consumption patterns and atmospheric pollutant emissions in 2000. Applying an input-output approach we estimate the relative responsibility of different types of households in the emissions of nine different atmospheric pollutants: the six greenhouse gases (CO2, CH4, N2O, SF6, HFCs and PFCs) regulated by the Kyoto protocol and three other gases (SO2, NOx and NH3). We combine input-output tables, national consumer survey statistics and environmental pollution satellite accounts into an environmental extended input-output model. We also analyse the assumptions required in order to apply the model to available data. We find that there is a positive and very high relationship between the level of household expenditure and the direct and indirect emissions generated by household consumption. However, the emission intensities tend to decrease with the expenditure level for the different atmospheric pollutants, with the exception of the synthetic greenhouse gases (SF6, HFCs and PFCs).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei in its series Working Papers with number 2007.62.
Date of creation: Jun 2007
Date of revision:
Input-Output Analysis; Consumption Pattern; Atmospheric Pollution;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C67 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Input-Output Models
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- Q53 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Air Pollution; Water Pollution; Noise; Hazardous Waste; Solid Waste; Recycling
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2007-02-24 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-ENE-2007-02-24 (Energy Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mazzanti, Massimiliano & Montini, Anna, 2010.
"Embedding the drivers of emission efficiency at regional level -- Analyses of NAMEA data,"
Elsevier, vol. 69(12), pages 2457-2467, October.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Anna Montini, 2010. "Embedding the drivers of emission efficiency at regional level Analyses of NAMEA data," Working Papers 201008, University of Ferrara, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.