On the revelance and nature of regional inflation differentials: The case of Spain
AbstractThis paper studies two aspects of the behaviour of provincial relative prices in Spain: the relevance and the nature of provincial inflation divergences and relative price shifts. Inflation differentials are found to be small (the range is less than half point per year in the long-run), but deviations of relative prices from equilibrium can be very persistent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Studies on the Spanish Economy with number 35.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
Other versions of this item:
- Enrique Alberola & José M. Marqués, 1999. "On the Relevance and Nature of Regional Inflation Differentials: the Case of Spain," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 9913, Banco de Espa�a.
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parsley, David C & Wei, Shang-Jin, 1996.
"Convergence to the Law of One Price without Trade Barriers or Currency Fluctuations,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1211-36, November.
- David C. Parsley & Shang-Jin Wei, 1996. "Convergence to the Law of One Price Without Trade Barriers or Currency Fluctuations," NBER Working Papers 5654, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John & Perron, Pierre, 1991.
"Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know about Unit Roots,"
3374863, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & Pierre Perron, 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know About Unit Roots," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1991, Volume 6, pages 141-220 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, J.Y. & Perron, P., 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomics should know about unit roots," Papers 360, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- John Y. Campbell & Pierre Perron, 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know About Unit Roots," NBER Technical Working Papers 0100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stephen Cecchetti & Nelson C. Mark & Robert Sonora, 1999.
"Price Level Convergence Among United States Cities: Lessons for the European Central Bank,"
99-01, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Mark, Nelson C. & Sonora, Robert & Cecchetti, Stephen, 1998. "Price Level Convergence Among United States Cities: Lessons for the European Central Bank," Working Papers 32, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Nelson C. Mark & Robert J. Sonora, 2000. "Price Level Convergence Among United States Cities: Lessons for the European Central Bank," NBER Working Papers 7681, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Sarno, Lucio, 1998.
"The behavior of real exchange rates during the post-Bretton Woods period,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 281-312, December.
- Sarno, Lucio & Taylor, Mark P, 1997. "The Behaviour of Real Exchange Rates During the Post-Bretton Woods Period," CEPR Discussion Papers 1730, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H, 1991. "Structural Determinants of Real Exchange Rates and National Price Levels: Some Empirical Evidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 325-34, March.
- Cumby, Robert & Diba, Behzad & Canzoneri, Matthew & Eudey, Gwen, 1998. "Trends in European Productivity: Implications for Real Exchange Rates, Real Interest Rates and Inflation Differentials," Working Papers 27, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Rogers, J.H. & Jenkins, M.A., 1993.
"Haircuts or Hysteresis? Sources of Movements in Real Exchange Rates,"
4-93-6, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Rogers, John H. & Jenkins, Michael, 1995. "Haircuts or hysteresis? Sources of movements in real exchange rates," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 339-360, May.
- Bela Balassa, 1964. "The Purchasing-Power Parity Doctrine: A Reappraisal," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 584.
- Carla Massidda & Paolo Mattana, 2008. "Regional productivity and relative prices dynamics: the case of Italy," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 42(4), pages 945-966, December.
- Maarten Hendrikx & Bryan Chapple, 2002. "Regional Inflation Divergence in the Context of EMU," MEB Series (discontinued) 2002-19, Netherlands Central Bank, Monetary and Economic Policy Department.
- Philip R. Lane, & Patrick Honohan, 2003.
"Divergent Inflation Rates in EMU,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Giorgio Canarella & Stephen M. Miller & Stephen K. Pollard, 2010.
"Stochastic Convergence in the Euro Area,"
2010-32, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Giorgio Canarella & Stephen Miller & Stephen Pollard, 2011. "The Global Financial Crisis and Stochastic Convergence in the Euro Area," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer, vol. 17(3), pages 315-333, August.
- Issing, Otmar, 2001. "The Single Monetary Policy of the European Central Bank: One Size Fits All," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 4(3), pages 441-62, Winter.
- Jacobo Campo Robledo & Sebastián Cubillos Fonseca, 2012. "Convergencia de precios en Colombia: integración de mercados a través del Índice de Precios al Consumidor," REVISTA FINANZAS Y POLÍTICA ECONÓMICA, UNIVERSIDAD CATOLICA DE COLOMBIA.
- Ivo J.M. Arnold & Jan J.G. Lemmen, 2008.
"Inflation Expectations and Inflation Uncertainty in the Eurozone: Evidence from Survey Data,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 144(2), pages 325-346, July.
- Ivo J. M. Arnold & Jan J.G. Lemmen, 2006. "Inflation Expectations and Inflation Uncertainty in the Eurozone: Evidence from Survey Data," CESifo Working Paper Series 1667, CESifo Group Munich.
- Santiago Rodriguez Feijoo & Alejandro Rodriguez Caro & Carlos Gonzalez Correa, 2003. "A measurement to analyze the relative change in the Absolute Parity of Power Purchase: An application to the European Union," ERSA conference papers ersa03p163, European Regional Science Association.
- Andrea Vaona, 2006.
"Merging the Purchasing Power: Parity and the Phillips Curve Literatures: Regional Evidence from Italy,"
Kiel Working Papers
1282, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Andrea Vaona, 2006. "Merging the Purchasing Power Parity and the Phillips Curve Literatures: Regional Evidence from Italy," Working Papers 33, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- Santiago Rodriguez Feijoo & Alejandro Rodriguez Caro & Carlos Gonzalez Correa, 2004. "An Empirical Study of the Purchasing Power Parity in the European Union," ERSA conference papers ersa04p369, European Regional Science Association.
- I. Arnold & C.J.M. Kool, 2004. "The Role of Inflation Differentials in Regional Adjustment: Evidence from the United States," Working Papers 04-13, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Fabio Busetti & Silvia Fabiani & Andrew Harvey, 2006.
"Convergences of prices and rates of inflation,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers)
575, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Alejandro Rodriguez Caro & Santiago Rodriguez Feijoó & Carlos Gonzalez Correa, 2005. "Markov Chain approach to Purchasing Power Convergence in the 15 European Union," ERSA conference papers ersa05p457, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.