Explaining the fall of the skill wage premium in Spain
AbstractThe main purpose of this work is to document the driven forces of the fall in the wage skill premium (WSP) in Spain in the last two decades. We show that the increase of occupational mismatch helps to explain the downward trend in university returns since the mid-80s. In the second part of the 90s and during the last decade, the decrease of labor market experience and firm tenure among well-matched workers, due to the extensive use of temporary contracts, also contributes to explain the fall of the WSP.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Working Papers with number 2010-19.
Date of creation: Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-EUR-2010-07-31 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-LAB-2010-07-31 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michele Boldrin & Sergi Jimenez-Martin & Franco Peracchi, 1999.
"Social Security and Retirement in Spain,"
NBER Chapters, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc,
in: Social Security and Retirement around the World, pages 305-353
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Javier Ruiz-Castillo, 2007. "La medición de la desigualdad de la renta: una revisión de la literatura," Documentos de Trabajo de EconomÃa, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de EconomÃa de20070222, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- The falling college premium in Spain
by Economic Logician in Economic Logic on 2010-08-26 14:10:00
- El mercado de trabajo en la Gran RecesiÃ³n (II): los salarios y el efecto composiciÃ³n
by Florentino Felgueroso in Nada Es Gratis on 2011-07-08 05:43:20
- Â¿Vale la pena estudiar? (VI) La inusual caÃda de la ganancia salarial resultante de la educaciÃ³n avanzada
by Luis Garicano in Nada Es Gratis on 2010-12-08 23:30:40
- Stéphane Bonhomme & Laura Hospido, 2012.
"The Cycle Of Earnings Inequality: Evidence From Spanish Social Security Data,"
Working Papers, CEMFI
- Bonhomme, Stephane & Hospido, Laura, 2012. "The Cycle of Earnings Inequality: Evidence from Spanish Social Security Data," IZA Discussion Papers 6669, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Stéphane Bonhomme & Laura Hospido, 2012. "The cycle of earnings inequality: evidence from Spanish social security data," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers, Banco de Espaï¿½a 1225, Banco de Espa�a.
- Aitor Lacuesta & Sergio Puente & Ernesto Villanueva, 2011. "The schooling response to a sustained increase in low-skill wages: evidence from Spain 1989-2009," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers, Banco de Espaï¿½a 1208, Banco de Espa�a.
- Raquel Carrasco & Juan F. Jimeno & A. Carolina Ortega, 2011. "Accounting for changes in the Spanish wage distribution: the role of employment Composition effects," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers, Banco de Espaï¿½a 1120, Banco de Espa�a.
- Manuel Hidalgo-Pérez & Walter García-Fontes, 2014. "Estimating Human Capital Externalities: The Case of the Spanish Provinces, 1995-2010," Working Papers, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics 14.06, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Bande, Roberto & Fernández, Melchor & Montuenga , Víctor, 2012. "Wage flexibility and local labour markets: a test on the homogeneity of the wage curve in Spain," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 24, pages 175-198.
- Raquel Carrasco & Juan F. Jimeno & A. Carolina Ortega, 2012. "Declining returns to skill and the distribution of wages : Spain 1995-2006," Economics Working Papers, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de EconomÃa we1231, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Tindara Addabbo & Paula Rodr íguez-Modroño & Lina Gálvez-Muñoz, 2014. "Youth living in a couple. How women's labour supply adapts to the crisis. The case of Spain," Center for the Analysis of Public Policies (CAPP), Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia Politica 0114, Universita di Modena e Reggio Emilia, Dipartimento di Economia Politica.
- Anita Wölfl & Juan S. Mora-Sanguinetti, 2011. "Reforming the Labour Market in Spain," OECD Economics Department Working Papers, OECD Publishing 845, OECD Publishing.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.