Competition and horizontal integration in maritime freight transport
AbstractThis paper develops a theoretical model for freight transport characterized by competition between means of transport (the road and maritime sectors), where modes are perceived as differentiated products. Competitive behavior is assumed in the road freight sector, and there are constant returns to scale. In contrast, the freight maritime sector is characterized by oligopolistic behavior, where shipping lines enjoy economies of scale. The market equilibrium where the shipping lines behave as profit maximizers, provides a first approximation to the determinants of market shares, profits, and user welfare. We then characterize the equilibrium when horizontal integration of shipping lines occurs, with and without further economies of scale. An empirical application to the routes Valencia-Antwerp and Valencia-Genoa uncovers that the joint profit of the merged firms and social welfare always increase. However, user surplus only increases when economies of scale are significantly exploited.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Working Papers with number 2010-13.
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
Other versions of this item:
- Álvarez-SanJaime, Óscar & Cantos-Sánchez, Pedro & Moner-Colonques, Rafael & Sempere-Monerris, José J., 2013. "Competition and horizontal integration in maritime freight transport," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 67-81.
- ALVAREZ-SANJAIME, Oscar & CANTOS-SANCHEZ, Pedro & MONER-COLONQUES, Rafael & SEMPERE-MONERRIS, José J., . "Competition and horizontal integration in maritime freight transport," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2504, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Pedro Cantos Sanchez & Rafael Moner-Colonques & Jose Sempere-Monerris & Oscar Alvarez, 2010. "Competition and horizontal integration in maritime freight transport," Discussion Papers in Economic Behaviour 0710, University of Valencia, ERI-CES.
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2010-04-24 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2010-04-24 (Economics of Strategic Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruno De Borger & Stef Proost & Kurt Van Dender, 2007.
"Private port pricing and public investment in port and Hinterland capacity,"
Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers
ces0708, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Bruno De Borger & Stef Proost & Kurt Van Dender, 2008. "Private Port Pricing and Public Investment in Port and Hinterland Capacity," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 42(3), pages 527-561, September.
- DE BORGER, Bruno & PROOST, Stef & VAN DENDER, Kurt, 2007. "Private port pricing and public investment in port and hinterland capacity," Working Papers 2007019, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- McAfee, R Preston & Williams, Michael A, 1992. "Horizontal Mergers and Antitrust Policy," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 181-87, June.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2006. "Rivalry between strategic alliances," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 287-301, March.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2001. "The economics of international codesharing: an analysis of airline alliances," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(10), pages 1475-1498, December.
- HEAVER, T. & MEERSMAN, Hilde & MOGLIA, F. & VAN DE VOORDE ,Eddy, . "Do mergers and alliances influence European shipping and port competition?," Working Papers 2000001, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Brueckner, Jan K. & Spiller, Pablo T., 1991. "Competition and mergers in airline networks," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 323-342, September.
- Adler, Nicole & Smilowitz, Karen, 2007. "Hub-and-spoke network alliances and mergers: Price-location competition in the airline industry," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 394-409, May.
- Farrell, J. & Shapiro, C., 1988.
"Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis,"
17, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Farrell, Joseph & Shapiro, Carl, 1988. "Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt0tp305nx, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Joseph Farrell and Carl Shapiro., 1988. "Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis," Economics Working Papers 8880, University of California at Berkeley.
- Zhang, Anming & Lang, Chunmei & Hui, Y.V. & Leung, Lawrence, 2007. "Intermodal alliance and rivalry of transport chains: The air cargo market," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 234-246, May.
- Photis M. Panayides, 2003. "Competitive strategies and organizational performance in ship management," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 123-140, January.
- Flores-Fillol, Ricardo, 2009. "Airline competition and network structure," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(10), pages 966-983, December.
- Dongping Song * & Jie Zhang & Jonathan Carter & Tony Field & James Marshall & John Polak & Kimberly Schumacher & Proshun Sinha-Ray & John Woods, 2005. "On cost-efficiency of the global container shipping network," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(1), pages 15-30, January.
- Beuthe, Michel & Jourquin, Bart & Geerts, Jean-François & Koul à Ndjang' Ha, Christian, 2001. "Freight transportation demand elasticities: a geographic multimodal transportation network analysis," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 253-266, August.
- Anming Zhang, 2008. "The Impact of Hinterland Access Conditions on Rivalry between Ports," OECD/ITF Joint Transport Research Centre Discussion Papers 2008/8, OECD Publishing.
- Park, Jong-Hun & Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin, 2001. "Analytical models of international alliances in the airline industry," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 865-886, November.
- Eddy van de Voorde & Thierry Vanelslander, 2009. "Market Power and Vertical and Horizontal Integration in the Maritime Shipping and Port Industry," OECD/ITF Joint Transport Research Centre Discussion Papers 2009/2, OECD Publishing.
- Saeed, Naima, 2013. "Cooperation among freight forwarders: Mode choice and intermodal freight transport," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 77-86.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.