Are Export Premia Robust to Innovation Statistics ?
AbstractThis paper analyses in what extent innovation contributes to the productivity premium of exporters. We start by performing non parametric tests on TFP distributions on different groups of firms characterized by their export and innovation behavior. We show that the TFP distributions of exporters and innovators stochastically dominate those of non exporters and of non innovators, respectively. We pursue with OLS regressions and show that the export premium, defined as the productivity advantage of exporters over non-exporters, is robust to the introduction of innovation statistics. We conclude that export and innovation each have specific mechanisms in their relationship with productivity. The contribution of innovation abilities remains however small: once controlled for the firm size, its ownership, and its innovation abilities, the residual export premium is still around 3%. Two additional results are found. First, both process and product innovations are associated with higher productivity when process innovation is strictly defined. Second, when accounting for distance to export markets, the export premium remains significant for global exporters only, whereas that of intra-Europe exporters vanishes. From these findings, we conclude that, beyond innovative abilities and mere size advantage, specific export-related competencies, such as specific managerial competencies or specific human capital, takes an important part in the success of Global exporters.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE) in its series Documents de Travail de l'OFCE with number 2009-15.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Lionel Nesta & Sarah Guillou & Flora Bellone, 2009. "Are Export Premia Robust to Innovation Statistics?," Sciences Po publications 39, Sciences Po.
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- F4 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-26 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baldwin, Richard & Forslid, Rikard, 2004.
"Trade Liberalization with Heterogenous Firms,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4635, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bernard, A., 1997.
"Exceptional Exporter Performance: Cause, Effect, or Both?,"
97-21, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Bernard, Andrew B. & Bradford Jensen, J., 1999. "Exceptional exporter performance: cause, effect, or both?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 1997. "Exceptional Exporter Performance: Cause, Effect, or Both?," NBER Working Papers 6272, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Melitz, Marc J, 2002.
"The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3381, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marc J. Melitz, 2003. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1695-1725, November.
- Mark J. Melitz, 2002. "The Impact of Trade on Intra-Industry Reallocations and Aggregate Industry Productivity," NBER Working Papers 8881, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lionel Nesta & Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Michel Quéré, 2006.
"Caractéristiques et performances des firmes exportatrices françaises,"
Sciences Po publications
info:hdl:2441/7184, Sciences Po.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Michel Quéré, 2006. "Caractéristiques et performances des firmes exportatrices françaises," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 98(3), pages 183-212.
- Krugman, Paul, 1980. "Scale Economies, Product Differentiation, and the Pattern of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 950-59, December.
- repec:fth:harver:1473 is not listed on IDEAS
- Stefan Lachenmaier; Ludger Woessmann, 2004.
"Does Innovation Cause Exports? Evidence from Exogenous Innovation Impulses and Obstacles Using German Micro Data,"
Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings
200, Econometric Society.
- Stefan Lachenmaier & Ludger Wö�mann, 2006. "Does innovation cause exports? Evidence from exogenous innovation impulses and obstacles using German micro data," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(2), pages 317-350, April.
- Roper, Stephen & Love, James H., 2002. "Innovation and export performance: evidence from the UK and German manufacturing plants," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1087-1102, September.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Jonathan Eaton & J. Bradford Jenson & Samuel Kortum, 2000.
"Plants and Productivity in International Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
7688, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew B Bernard & Jonathan Eaton & J. Bradford Jensen & Samuel Kortum, 2000. "Plants and productivity in international trade," Working Papers 00-08, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Jonathan Eaton & J. Bradford Jensen & Samuel Kortum, 2000. "Plants and Productivity in International Trade," Boston University - Institute for Economic Development 105, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Sascha Becker & Peter Egger, 2013.
"Endogenous product versus process innovation and a firm’s propensity to export,"
Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 329-354, February.
- Sascha O. Becker & Peter Egger, 2007. "Endogenous Product versus Process Innovation and a Firm’s Propensity to Export," CESifo Working Paper Series 1906, CESifo Group Munich.
- Yeaple, Stephen Ross, 2005. "A simple model of firm heterogeneity, international trade, and wages," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 1-20, January.
- Richard Harris & Qian Cher Li, 2009. "Exporting, R&D, and absorptive capacity in UK establishments," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(1), pages 74-103, January.
- Cassiman, Bruno & Golovko, Elena, 2007.
"Innovation and the export-productivity link,"
IESE Research Papers
D/688, IESE Business School.
- Basile, Roberto, 2001. "Export behaviour of Italian manufacturing firms over the nineties: the role of innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1185-1201, October.
- Klepper, Steven, 1996. "Entry, Exit, Growth, and Innovation over the Product Life Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 562-83, June.
- Joachim Wagner, 2005.
"Exports and Productivity: A Survey of the Evidence fro Firm Level Data,"
- Joachim Wagner, 2007. "Exports and Productivity: A Survey of the Evidence from Firm-level Data," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 60-82, 01.
- Wagner, Joachim, 2005. "Exports and Productivity : A survey of the evidence from firm level data," HWWA Discussion Papers 319, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Joachim Wagner, 2005. "Exports and Productivity: A survey of the evidence from firm level data," Working Paper Series in Economics 4, University of Lüneburg, Institute of Economics.
- Robert M. Salomon & J. Myles Shaver, 2005. "Learning by Exporting: New Insights from Examining Firm Innovation," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(2), pages 431-460, 06.
- Zvi Griliches, 1991.
"Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey,"
NBER Working Papers
3301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 287-343 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1990. "Patent Statistics as Economic Indicators: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 28(4), pages 1661-1707, December.
- Pablo D'Este & Simona Iammarino & Maria Savona & Nick von Tunzelmann, 2008. "What hampers innovation? Evidence from the UK CIS4," SPRU Working Paper Series 168, SPRU - Science and Technology Policy Research, University of Sussex.
- Movahedi, Mohammad & Gaussens, Olivier, 2011. "Innovation, productivity, and export: Evidence from SMEs in Lower Normandy, France," MPRA Paper 40443, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 07 Jun 2012.
- Flora Bellone & Kozo Kiyota & Toshiyuki Matsuura & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta, 2012.
"International Productivity Gaps and the Export Status of Firms: Evidence from France and Japan,"
GREDEG Working Papers
2012-07, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Économie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis, revised Apr 2013.
- Flora BELLONE & KIYOTA Kozo & MATSUURA Toshiyuki & Patrick MUSSO & Lionel NESTA, 2013. "International Productivity Gaps and the Export Status of Firms: Evidence from France and Japan," Discussion papers 13011, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Gazaniol, Alexandre, 2011. "The Innovativity of Global Firms : Evidence from French Manufacturers," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6060, Paris Dauphine University.
- Mohammad Movahedi & Olivier Gaussens, 2011. "Innovation, productivité et exportation : Y-a-t-il un effet d'auto-sélection consciente? Une étude empirique sur les PMI de basse-Normandie," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201123, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Saraceno).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.