Exporting, R&D, and absorptive capacity in UK establishments
AbstractThis paper models the determinants of exporting (both in terms of export propensity and export intensity), with a particular emphasis on the importance of absorptive capacity and the endogenous link between exporting and undertaking R&D. Based on a merged dataset of the 2001 Community Innovation Survey and the 2000 Annual Respondents Database for the UK, our results suggest that establishment size plays a fundamental role in explaining exporting. Meanwhile, alongside other factors, undertaking R&D activities and having greater absorptive capacity (for scientific knowledge, international co-operation, and organizational structure) significantly reduce entry barriers into export markets, having controlled for self-selectivity into exporting. Nevertheless, conditional on entry into international markets, only greater absorptive capacity (associated with scientific knowledge) seems to further boost export performance in such markets, whereas spending on R&D no longer has an impact on exporting behaviour once we have taken into account its endogenous nature. Copyright 2009 , Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Oxford University Press in its journal Oxford Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 61 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kampik, Franziska & Dachs, Bernhard, 2010. "The innovative performance of German multinationals abroad," MPRA Paper 28102, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Richard Harris & Victoria Kravtsova, 2009. "In Search of W," SERC Discussion Papers 0017, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Jacinta Moreira & Maria Jose Silva & Jorge Simões & Gastão Sousa, 2012. "Drivers of Marketing Innovation in Portuguese Firms," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 14(31), pages 195-206, February.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Areti Gkypali & Kostas Tsekouras, 2014. "Knowledge Base, Exporting Activities, Innovation Openness and Innovation Performance: A SEM Approach Towards a Unifying Framework," KOF Working papers 14-361, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- OA. Carboni, 2012.
"A Spatial Analysis of R&D: the Role of Industry Proximity,"
Working Paper CRENoS
201204, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Oliviero A. Carboni, 2013. "A spatial analysis of R&D: the role of industry proximity," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(8), pages 820-839, November.
- Fu, Dahai & Wu, Yanrui & Tang, Yihong, 2010.
"Does innovation matter for Chinese hightech exports? a firm-level analysis,"
30012, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dahai Fu & Yanrui Wu & Yihong Tang, 2011. "Does Innovation Matter for Chinese High-Tech Exports? A Firm-Level Analysis," Economics Discussion / Working Papers 11-21, The University of Western Australia, Department of Economics.
- Flora Bellone & Sarah Guillou & Lionel Nesta, 2009.
"Are Export Premia Robust to Innovation Statistics ?,"
Documents de Travail de l'OFCE
2009-15, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Lionel Nesta & Sarah Guillou & Flora Bellone, 2009. "Are Export Premia Robust to Innovation Statistics?," Sciences Po publications 39, Sciences Po.
- Tavassoli, Sam, 2013.
"The Role of Product Innovation Output on Export Behavior of Firms,"
CIRCLE Electronic Working Papers
2013/38, Lund University, CIRCLE - Center for Innovation, Research and Competences in the Learning Economy.
- Tavassoli, Sam, 2013. "The Role of Product Innovation Output on Export Behavior of Firms," CITR Working Paper Series 2013/05, Center for Innovation and Technology Research, Blekinge Institute of Technology.
- Huang, Can & Arundel, Anthony & Hollanders, Hugo, 2010.
"How Firms Innovate: R&D, Non-R&D, and Technology Adoption,"
9854, University of Tasmania, School of Economics and Finance, revised 19 Nov 2012.
- Huang, Can & Arundel, Anthony & Hollanders, Hugo, 2010. "How Firms Innovate: R&D, Non-R&D, and Technology Adoption," MERIT Working Papers 027, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Ivan Faiella & Alessandro Mistretta, 2014. "Firms' energy costs and competitiveness in Italy," Questioni di Economia e Finanza (Occasional Papers) 214, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- repec:pdn:wpaper:31 is not listed on IDEAS
- Maria JOSE SILVA & Gastão SOUSA & Jacinta MOREIRA & Jorge SIMÕES, 2011. "Innovation Activities in the Service Sector: Empirical Evidence from Portuguese Firms," Journal of Knowledge Management, Economics and Information Technology, ScientificPapers.org, vol. 1(6), pages 17, October.
- Bettina Becker, 2013. "The Determinants of R&D Investment: A Survey of the Empirical Research," Discussion Paper Series 2013_09, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Sep 2013.
- Ioannis Bournakis & Sushanta Mallick & David Kernohan & Dimitris A.Tsouknidis, 2013. "Measuring Firm-Level Productivity Convergence in the UK: The Role of Taxation and R&D Investment," Working Papers 45, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Business and Management, Centre for Globalisation Research.
- Facundo Albornoz & Matthew A Cole & Robert J R Elliott & Marco G Ercolani, 2008.
"In Search of Environmental Spillovers,"
08-03, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Marcelo José Braga Nonnenberg & Ana Paula Avellar, 2014. "Exportações E Processos Inovativos: Umestudo Para América Latina E Europa Do Leste," Anais do XL Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 40th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 105, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Christopher F Baum & Mustafa Caglayan & Oleksandr Talavera, 2012. "R&D Expenditures and Geographical Sales Diversification," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 794, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 12 Nov 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.