Forecasting Levels of log Variables in Vector Autoregressions
AbstractSometimes forecasts of the original variable are of interest although a variable appears in logarithms (logs) in a system of time series. In that case converting the forecast for the log of the variable to a naive forecast of the original variable by simply applying the exponential transformation is not optimal theoretically. A simple expression for the optimal forecast under normality assumptions is derived. Despite its theoretical advantages the optimal forecast is shown to be inferior to the naive forecast if specification and estimation uncertainty are taken into account. Hence, in practice using the exponential of the log forecast is preferable to using the optimal forecast.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University Institute in its series Economics Working Papers with number ECO2009/24.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Badia Fiesolana, Via dei Roccettini, 9, 50016 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/ECO/
More information through EDIRC
Vector autoregressive model; cointegration; forecast root mean square error;
Other versions of this item:
- Bårdsen, Gunnar & Lütkepohl, Helmut, 2011. "Forecasting levels of log variables in vector autoregressions," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 1108-1115, October.
- Gunnar Bårdsen & Helmut Lütkepohl, 2009. "Forecasting Levels of log Variables in Vector Autoregressions," Working Paper Series 10409, Department of Economics, Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2009-07-11 (Central Banking)
- NEP-ECM-2009-07-11 (Econometrics)
- NEP-FOR-2009-07-11 (Forecasting)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Arino, Miguel A. & Franses, Philip Hans, 2000.
"Forecasting the levels of vector autoregressive log-transformed time series,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 111-116.
- Ari�o, M.A. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 1996. "Forecasting the Levels of Vector Autoregressive Log-Transformed Time Series," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9669-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Helmut Luetkepohl & Fang Xu, 2009.
"The Role of the Log Transformation in Forecasting Economic Variables,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2591, CESifo Group Munich.
- Helmut Lütkepohl & Fang Xu, 2012. "The role of the log transformation in forecasting economic variables," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 42(3), pages 619-638, June.
- Lorenzo Pascual & Esther Ruiz & Diego Fresoli, 2011. "Bootstrap forecast of multivariate VAR models without using the backward representation," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws113426, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Proietti, Tommaso & Lütkepohl, Helmut, 2013.
"Does the Box–Cox transformation help in forecasting macroeconomic time series?,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 88-99.
- Tommaso Proietti & Helmut Luetkepohl, 2011. "Does the Box-Cox Transformation Help in Forecasting Macroeconomic Time Series?," Economics Working Papers ECO2011/29, European University Institute.
- Lütkepohl, Helmut & Proietti, Tommaso, 2011. "Does the Box-Cox transformation help in forecasting macroeconomic time series?," Working Papers 1 OMEWP, University of Sydney Business School, Discipline of Business Analytics.
- Tommaso, Proietti & Helmut, Luetkepohl, 2011. "Does the Box-Cox transformation help in forecasting macroeconomic time series?," MPRA Paper 32294, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcia Gastaldo).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.