Collective Values, Behavioural Norms and Rules Building Institutions for Economic Growth and Poverty Reduction
AbstractEconomic growth and poverty reduction require for a country to establish efficient rules for economic and political transactions. Poor countries suffer from inadequate, inefficient transaction rules. Formal rules (e.g.,laws,policies) must be nested in hospitable behavioural norms and values. Cultural collectivism in many of these countries and consequent group-oriented values, factionalism, and discretionary rule implementation have adverse implications for their efforts to establish well-defined property rights and other rules. Overtime, these countries must establish rules for government-enforced, widespread impersonal transactions. [DiscussionPaperNo.2001/98]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:3018.
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
growth; poverty; rules; institutions; humanbehaviour;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2010-10-23 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-FDG-2010-10-23 (Financial Development & Growth)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Cristian Pop-Eleches & Andrei Shleifer, 2002.
"The Guarantees of Freedom,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1943, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Cristian Pop-Eleches & Andrei Shleifer, 2002. "The Guarantees of Freedom," NBER Working Papers 8759, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrei Shleifer & Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez de Silanes & Cristian Pop-Eleches, 2002. "The Guarantees of Freedom," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm261, Yale School of Management.
- Shirley, Mary M., 2000. "A Not-So-Dismal Science: A Broader View of Economies and Societies. Edited by Mancur Olson and Satu K hk nen. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. Pp. vii, 274. $65.00, cloth; $19.95, paper," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 60(03), pages 915-917, September.
- Robert J. Barro, 1998.
"Determinants of Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Empirical Study,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262522543, June.
- Robert J. Barro, 1996. "Determinants of Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Empirical Study," NBER Working Papers 5698, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olson, Mancur & Kahkohnen, Satu (ed.), 2000. "A Not-so-dismal Science: A Broader View of Economies and Societies," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198294900.
- Levine, Ross, 1998. "Robert J. Barro, Determinants of Economic Growth: A Cross-Country Empirical Study," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 822-824, December.
- Kandori, Michihiro, 1992.
"Social Norms and Community Enforcement,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Brunnetti, Aymo & Kisunko, Gregory & Weder, Beatrice, 1997.
"Credibility of rules and economic growth : evidence from a worldwide survey of the private sector,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1760, The World Bank.
- Brunetti, Aymo & Kisunko, Gregory & Weder, Beatrice, 1998. "Credibility of Rules and Economic Growth: Evidence from a Worldwide Survey of the Private Sector," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 12(3), pages 353-84, September.
- Graham C. Scott, 1996. "Government Reform in New Zealand," IMF Occasional Papers 140, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.