The Employment-Unemployment Situation in India in the Nineteen Nineties: Some Results from the NSS 55th Round Survey (July 1999-June 2000)
AbstractThe National Sample Survey Organisation (NSSO) has recently released the report containing key results of the NSS 55th Round Employment-Unemployment Survey covering the period July 1999 thru June 20001 .Being canvassed over a separate set of households, the results of the Employment-Unemployment Survey are also free of the controversies surrounding the NSS 55th Round Consumer Expenditure Survey .They therefore provide an opportunity to review the changes in the size and structure of the work force and in the unemployment situation in the country in the 1990s through a comparative analysis of the results of the large-scale quinquennial surveys for 1993-94 and 1999-2000. The analysis will be primarily at the all-India level. But, at this level of aggregation, they have considered separately the four segments differentiated by gender and rural-urban location: rural males; rural females; urban males; and, urban females. The changes in the size of the work force and the underlying work force participation rates, the industrial distribution of this work force, the changes in labour productivity and, the changes in the extent of unemployment and underemployment in the country has been examined. Finally, They examine the changes in the average number of days worked by a worker on the usual status and the changes, in real terms, in the daily average wage earnings of casual wage labourers and in the average yearly "wage earnings" per capita. [Working Paper No. 89]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:2702.
Date of creation: Jul 2010
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
National Sample Survey Organisation (NSSO); Employment-Unemployment Survey; Consumer Expenditure Survey; gender; urban females; labour productivity; "wage earnings" per capita;
Other versions of this item:
- K. Sundaram, 2001. "The Employment-Unemployment Situation in India in the Nineteen Nineties: Some Results from the NSS 55th Round Survey (July 1999-June 2000)," Working papers, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics 89, Centre for Development Economics, Delhi School of Economics.
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-CWA-2010-07-31 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-LAB-2010-07-31 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jong-Il Kim & Lawrence J. Lau, 1996. "The sources of Asian Pacific economic growth," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(s1), pages 448-54, April.
- ., 1996. "Received Wisdom (Economic issues examined by the Panel of Independent Forecasters)," Occasional Papers, The Public Enquiries Unit, HM Treasury 6, The Public Enquiries Unit, HM Treasury.
- Jeemol Unni & Uma Rani, 2009. "Social Protection for Informal Workers: Insecurities, Instruments and Institutional Mechanisms," Working Papers id:1920, eSocialSciences.
- K.L. Datta, 2010. "The Debate on the Poverty Estimates of 1999â€“2000," Working Papers id:2760, eSocialSciences.
- Jeemol Unni & Uma Rani, 2007. "Women, Work and Insecurities in India," Working Papers id:1047, eSocialSciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.