Poverty Dynamics in Rural Sindh, Pakistan
AbstractThis paper focuses on poverty dynamics and their determinants, using panel survey data for rural Sindh, Pakistan. Households interviewed by the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) during 1986–91, were resurveyed in 2004–05 with minimal attrition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:2334.
Date of creation: Dec 2009
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
food policy; rural; consumption; land ownership; panel data; rural poverty; shocks in agriculture; poverty transitions; Sindh; pakistan; poverty dynamics; panel survey data; households; crop; education; non-farm employment; poverty; farming; income change; econometric analysis;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adams, Richard H, Jr, 1995. "Agricultural Income, Cash Crops, and Inequality in Rural Pakistan," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(3), pages 467-91, April.
- Adams, Richard H. Jr. & He, Jane J., 1995. "Sources of income inequality and poverty in rural Pakistan:," Research reports 102, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ellis, Frank, 2000. "Rural Livelihoods and Diversity in Developing Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296966, September.
- Takashi Kurosaki, 2006. "The measurement of transient poverty: Theory and application to Pakistan," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 325-345, December.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1978. "The Measurement of Mobility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 1013-24, September.
- Adams, Richard H. Jr. & Alderman, Harold, 1992.
"Sources of income inequality in rural Pakistan : a decomposition analysis,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
836, The World Bank.
- Adams, Richard H, Jr & Alderman, Harold, 1992. "Sources of Income Inequality in Rural Pakistan: A Decomposition Analysis," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(4), pages 591-608, November.
- David Lawson, 2005.
"Poverty Persistence and Transitions in Uganda: A Combined Qualitative and Quantitative Analysis,"
Economics Series Working Papers
GPRG-WPS-004, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- David Lawson & Andy Mckay & John Okidi, 2006. "Poverty persistence and transitions in Uganda: A combined qualitative and quantitative analysis," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(7), pages 1225-1251.
- Lawson, David & McKay, Andrew & Okidi, John A., 2004. "Poverty Persistence and Transitions in Uganda: A Combined Qualitative and Quantitative Analysis," Development Economics and Public Policy Working Papers 30555, University of Manchester, Institute for Development Policy and Management (IDPM).
- Deepa Narayan & Patti Petesch, 2007. "Moving Out of Poverty : Volume 1. Cross-Disciplinary Perspectives on Mobility," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 11840, October.
- Neil McCulloch & Bob Baulch, 2000. "Simulating the impact of policy upon chronic and transitory poverty in rural Pakistan," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(6), pages 100-130.
- Bob Baulch & John Hoddinott, 2000. "Economic mobility and poverty dynamics in developing countries," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(6), pages 1-24.
- Dorosh, Paul A. & Malik, Sohail J., 2006. "Transitions Out of Poverty: Drivers of Real Income Growth for the Poor in Rural Pakistan," 2006 Annual Meeting, August 12-18, 2006, Queensland, Australia 25387, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Richard H. Adams, JR., 1993. "Non-farm Income and Inequality in Rural Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 32(4), pages 1187-1198.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
- Gary Fields & Paul Cichello & Samuel Freije & Marta Menendez & David Newhouse, 2003.
"Household income dynamics: a four-country story,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(2), pages 30-54.
- Alderman, Harold, 1996. "Saving and economic shocks in rural Pakistan," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 343-365, December.
- Deaton, A.S., 1993.
"Data and Econometric Tools for Development Analysis,"
172, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Development Studies.
- Deaton, Angus, 1995. "Data and econometric tools for development analysis," Handbook of Development Economics, in: Hollis Chenery & T.N. Srinivasan (ed.), Handbook of Development Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 33, pages 1785-1882 Elsevier.
- Lanjouw, Peter & Stern, Nicholas, 1991. "Poverty in Palanpur," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 5(1), pages 23-55, January.
- World Bank, 2008. "World Development Report 2007 Development and the Next Generation," Working Papers id:1755, eSocialSciences.
- Neil McCulloch & Bob Baulch, 2000. "Simulating the Impact of Policy upon Chronic and Transitory Poverty in Rural Pakistan," Econometrics 0004003, EconWPA.
- World Bank, 2007. "Pakistan : Promoting Rural Growth and Poverty Reduction," World Bank Other Operational Studies 7984, The World Bank.
- Takashi Kurosaki, 2006. "Consumption vulnerability to risk in rural Pakistan," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 70-89.
- Shorrocks, Anthony, 1978. "Income inequality and income mobility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 376-393, December.
- Sen, Binayak, 2003. "Drivers of Escape and Descent: Changing Household Fortunes in Rural Bangladesh," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 513-534, March.
- G. M. Arif & Shujaat Farooq, 2012. "Rural Poverty Dynamics in Pakistan: Evidence from Three Waves of the Panel Survey," Poverty and Social Dynamics Paper Series 2012:02, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.