Should Coal Replace Coal? Options for the Irish Electricity Market
AbstractThe Moneypoint coal plant is nearing the end of its useful life and will need to be replaced. For Moneypoint's replacement, we consider different types of baseload technologies: coal plants with and without carbon capture, combined-cycle gas plants and a nuclear plant. This paper compares how the different types of plant are likely to affect the net costs of the Single Electricity Market under a number of fossil fuel and carbon price scenarios and highlights issues that might be of interest to final consumers and policy makers, namely effects on short-run prices, emissions and energy security.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) in its series Papers with number WP428.
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Seán Diffney & Laura Malaguzzi Valeri & Darragh Walsh, 2012. "Should Coal Replace Coal? Options for the Irish Electricity Market," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 43(4), pages 561-596.
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENE-2012-04-10 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-ENV-2012-04-10 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Troy, Niamh & Denny, Eleanor & O'Malley, Mark, 2010. "Base-load cycling on a system with significant wind penetration," MPRA Paper 34848, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rubin, Edward S. & Chen, Chao & Rao, Anand B., 2007. "Cost and performance of fossil fuel power plants with CO2 capture and storage," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 4444-4454, September.
- Newcomer, Adam & Apt, Jay, 2008. "Implications of generator siting for CO2 pipeline infrastructure," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 1776-1787, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.