An Estimate of the Value of Lost Load for Ireland
AbstractThis paper estimates the value of short term lost load in the all island electricity market which includes the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. The value of lost load, also known as the value of security of electricity supply, is inferred using a production function approach. Detailed electricity use data for the Republic of Ireland allows us to estimate the value of lost load by time of day, time of week and type of user. We find that the value of lost load is highest in the residential sector in both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. Our results can be used to advise policy decisions in the case of supply outages and to encourage optimum supply security. In the context of this study short term is taken to be a matter of hours rather than days or weeks.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) in its series Papers with number WP357.
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Ireland/value of lost load/electricity/Republic of Ireland/data/US/Policy;
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard S.J. Tol, 2007. "The Value of Lost Load," Papers WP214, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- de Nooij, Michiel & Koopmans, Carl & Bijvoet, Carlijn, 2007. "The value of supply security: The costs of power interruptions: Economic input for damage reduction and investment in networks," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 277-295, March.
- Lyons, Sean & FitzGerald, John & McCarthy, Niamh & Malaguzzi Valeri, Laura & Tol, Richard S. J., 2007. "Preserving Electricity Market Efficiency While Closing Ireland's Capacity Gap," Quarterly Economic Commentary: Special Articles, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), vol. 2007(3-Autumn), pages 62-82.
- Zephyr, 2010. "The city," City, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1-2), pages 154-155, February.
- Frances Ruane & Xiaoheng Zhang, 2007. "Location Choices of the Pharmaceutical Industry in Europe after 1992," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp220, IIIS.
- Malaguzzi Valeri, Laura & Tol, Richard S. J., 2006. "Electricity Shortages in Ireland: Probability and Consequences," Quarterly Economic Commentary: Special Articles, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), vol. 2006(4-Winter), pages 1-7.
- Beenstock, Michael & Goldin, Ephraim & Haitovsky, Yoel, 1998. "Response bias in a conjoint analysis of power outages," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 135-156, April.
- Luis M. Abadie & José M. Chamorro, 2011. "Valuing Expansions of the Electricity Transmission Network under Uncertainty: The Binodal Case," Energies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 4(10), pages 1696-1727, October.
- Wenzel, Lars & Wolf, André, 2014. "Welfare implications of power rationing: An application to Germany," HWWI Research Papers 148, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Piaszeck, Simon & Wenzel, Lars & Wolf, André, 2013. "Regional diversity in the costs of electricity outages: Results for German counties," HWWI Research Papers 142, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Musiliu 0. Oseni & Michael G. Pollitt, . "The Economic Costs of Unsupplied Electricty: Evidence from Backup Generation among African Firms," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 1351, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Myunghwan Kim & Seung-Hoon Yoo, 2012. "The Economic Cost of Unsupplied Diesel Product in Korea Using Input-Output Analysis," Energies, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 5(9), pages 3465-3478, September.
- Leahy, Eimear & Devitt, Conor & Lyons, Seán & Tol, Richard S.J., 2012.
"The cost of natural gas shortages in Ireland,"
Elsevier, vol. 46(C), pages 153-169.
- Linares, Pedro & Rey, Luis, 2013.
"The costs of electricity interruptions in Spain. Are we sending the right signals?,"
Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 751-760.
- Pedro Linares & Luis Rey, 2012. "The costs of electricity interruptions in Spain. Are we sending the right signals?," Working Papers fa05-2012, Economics for Energy.
- growitsch, christian & Malischek, Raimund & Nick, Sebastian & Wetzel, Heike, 2013. "The Costs of Power Interruptions in Germany - an Assessment in the Light of the Energiewende," EWI Working Papers 2013-7, Energiewirtschaftliches Institut an der Universitaet zu Koeln.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.