On the determination of subjective probability by choices
AbstractThe paper explores the uniqueness properties of the subjective probabilities in two axiomatizations of state-dependent preferences. Karni, Schmeider and Vind's (KSV) system depends on selecting an arbitrary probability, ans as such, does not guarantee the uniqueness of the derived subjective probability. However, an axiom system initially due to Karni and Shmeider (KS) and further elaborated upon here does guarantee the desired uniqueness, as well as a useful property of "stability" of the derived solution.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise in its series THEMA Working Papers with number 97-37.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 33, boulevard du port - 95011 Cergy-Pontoise Cedex
Phone: 33 1 34 25 60 63
Fax: 33 1 34 25 62 33
Web page: http://thema.u-cergy.fr
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Edi Karni & Philippe Mongin, 2000. "On the Determination of Subjective Probability by Choices," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(2), pages 233-248, February.
- Karni, E. & Mongin, P., 1997. "On the Determination of Subjective Probability by Choices," Papers 9737, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mongin, Philippe, 2013. "La théorie de la décision et la psychologie du sens commun," Les Cahiers de Recherche 943, HEC Paris.
- Grant, Simon & Karni, Edi, 2003.
"Why Does It Matter That Beliefs and Valuations Be Correctly Represented?,"
2003-02, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Simon Grant & Edi Karni, 2005. "Why Does It Matter That Beliefs And Valuations Be Correctly Represented?," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(3), pages 917-934, 08.
- Grant, S. & Karni, E., 2002. "Why Does it Matter that Beliefs and Valuations be Correctly Represented?," Discussion Paper 2002-12, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Grant, Simon & Karni, Edi, 2004. "A theory of quantifiable beliefs," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 515-546, August.
- Brian Hill, 2009.
"Living without state-independence of utilities,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 67(4), pages 405-432, October.
- Hill, Brian, 2010.
"An additively separable representation in the Savage framework,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 145(5), pages 2044-2054, September.
- Brian, HILL, 2007. "An additively separable representation in the Savage framework," Les Cahiers de Recherche 882, HEC Paris.
- Edi Karni, 2005.
"Foundations of Bayesian Theory,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
524, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Hill, Brian, 2009.
"When is there state independence?,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 144(3), pages 1119-1134, May.
- Peter J. Hammond, 2013.
"Extending the Original Position: Revisiting the Pattanaik Critique of Vickrey/Harsanyi Utilitarianism,"
Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series
gd12-298, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Hammond, Peter J, 2013. "Extending the Original Position : Revisiting the Pattanaik Critique of Vickrey/Harsanyi Utilitarianism," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 1008, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Robert Nau, 2001. "De Finetti was Right: Probability Does Not Exist," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 51(2), pages 89-124, December.
- Giocoli, Nicola, 2011. "From Wald to Savage: homo economicus becomes a Bayesian statistician," MPRA Paper 34117, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hill, Brian, 2007. "Three analyses of sour grapes," Les Cahiers de Recherche 873, HEC Paris.
- Sadowski, Philipp, 2008. "Conditional Preference for Flexibility: Eliciting Beliefs from Behavior," MPRA Paper 8614, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- DREZE , Jacques H. & RUSTICHINI, Aldo, 2000. "State-dependent utility and decision theory," CORE Discussion Papers 2000007, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marion Oury).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.