Living without state-independence of utilities
AbstractThis paper is concerned with the representation of preferences which do not satisfy the ordinary axioms for state-independent utilities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HEC Paris in its series Les Cahiers de Recherche with number 874.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 13 Jul 2007
Date of revision:
Elicitation; Subjective Probability; Subjective Expected Utility; Statedependent utility; Small worlds;
Other versions of this item:
- C60 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - General
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Karni, Edi & Schmeidler, David & Vind, Karl, 1983. "On State Dependent Preferences and Subjective Probabilities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 1021-31, July.
- HEIFETZ, Aviad & MEIER, Martin & SCHIPPER, Burkhard C., 2004.
CORE Discussion Papers, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE)
2004059, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Heifetz, Aviad & Meier, Martin & Schipper, Burkhard C., 2005. "Interactive Unawareness," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University 52, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Karni, E. & Schmeidler, D., 1991.
"On the Uniqueness of Subjective Probabilities,"
Papers, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies
1-92, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- Hill, Brian, 2007. "Three analyses of sour grapes," Les Cahiers de Recherche, HEC Paris 873, HEC Paris.
- Karni, E. & Mongin, P., 1997.
"On the Determination of Subjective Probability by Choices,"
Papers, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor.
9737, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Edi Karni & Philippe Mongin, 2000. "On the Determination of Subjective Probability by Choices," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 46(2), pages 233-248, February.
- E. Karni & Ph. Mongin, 1997. "On the determination of subjective probability by choices," THEMA Working Papers, THEMA (THÃ©orie Economique, ModÃ©lisation et Applications), UniversitÃ© de Cergy-Pontoise 97-37, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Edi Karni, 2005.
"Foundations of Bayesian Theory,"
Economics Working Paper Archive, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics
524, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics.
- Glenn W Harrison & John A List & Charles Towe, 2007.
"Naturally Occurring Preferences and Exogenous Laboratory Experiments: A Case Study of Risk Aversion,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 75(2), pages 433-458, 03.
- Glenn Harrison & John List & Charles Towe, 2004. "Naturally occurring preferences and exogenous laboratory experiments: A case study of risk aversion," Framed Field Experiments, The Field Experiments Website 00155, The Field Experiments Website.
- Karni, Edi, 1996. "Probabilities and Beliefs," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 249-62, November.
- HILL, Brian, 2006. "Towards a "sophisticated" model of belief dynamics," Les Cahiers de Recherche, HEC Paris 868, HEC Paris.
- Eddie Dekel, 1997.
"A Unique Subjective State Space for Unforeseen Contingencies,"
Discussion Papers, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science
1202, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Dekel, Eddie & Lipman, Barton L & Rustichini, Aldo, 2001. "Representing Preferences with a Unique Subjective State Space," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 69(4), pages 891-934, July.
- Karni, Edi, 1993. "A Definition of Subjective Probabilities with State-Dependent Preferences," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 187-98, January.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Wakker, Peter P & Sarin, Rakesh, 1997. "Back to Bentham? Explorations of Experienced Utility," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 112(2), pages 375-405, May.
- Kenneth R. MacCrimmon & Donald A. Wehrung, 1990. "Characteristics of Risk Taking Executives," Management Science, INFORMS, INFORMS, vol. 36(4), pages 422-435, April.
- Karni Edi, 1993. "Subjective Expected Utility Theory with State-Dependent Preferences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 428-438, August.
- Brian, HILL, 2007. "Dynamic Awareness," Les Cahiers de Recherche, HEC Paris 881, HEC Paris.
- Cook, Philip J & Graham, Daniel A, 1977. "The Demand for Insurance and Protection: The Case of Irreplaceable Commodities," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 91(1), pages 143-56, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sandra Dupouy).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.