Optimal hedging strategies and interactions between firms
AbstractThis paper studies corporate risk management in a context with financial constraints and imperfect competition on the product market. We show that the interactions between firms heavily affect their hedging demand. As a general rule, the firms’ hedging demand decreases with the correlation between firms’ internal funds and investment opportunities. We show that when the hedging demand of a firm is high in the case where investments are strategic substitutes, its hedging demand is low in the case where investments are strategic complements, and vice versa. Finally, we also propose another interpretation of our model in terms of technical choice.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library in its series LSE Research Online Documents on Economics with number 24903.
Length: 49 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2002
Date of revision:
Hedging; Interactions between firms; Credit rationing;
Other versions of this item:
- Frederic Loss, 2012. "Optimal Hedging Strategies and Interactions between Firms," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(1), pages 79-129, 03.
- Loss, Frédéric, 2012. "Optimal Hedging Strategies and Interactions between Firms," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/12110, Paris Dauphine University.
- Frederic Loss, 2002. "Optimal Hedging Strategies and Interactions between Firms," FMG Discussion Papers dp399, Financial Markets Group.
- G3 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance
- D29 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Other
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mayers, David & Smith, Clifford W, Jr, 1982. "On the Corporate Demand for Insurance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55(2), pages 281-96, April.
- Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W, 1992. " Liquidation Values and Debt Capacity: A Market Equilibrium Approach," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1343-66, September.
- Geczy, Christopher & Minton, Bernadette A & Schrand, Catherine, 1997. " Why Firms Use Currency Derivatives," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1323-54, September.
- Smith, Clifford W. & Stulz, René M., 1985. "The Determinants of Firms' Hedging Policies," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(04), pages 391-405, December.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Geanakoplos, John D & Klemperer, Paul D, 1985. "Multimarket Oligopoly: Strategic Substitutes and Complements," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(3), pages 488-511, June.
- Martin F. Grace & Michael J. Rebello, 1993. "Financing and the Demand for Corporate Insurance," The Geneva Risk and Insurance Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 18(2), pages 147-171, December.
- Nance, Deana R & Smith, Clifford W, Jr & Smithson, Charles W, 1993. " On the Determinants of Corporate Hedging," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 267-84, March.
- Gale, Douglas & Hellwig, Martin, 1985. "Incentive-Compatible Debt Contracts: The One-Period Problem," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(4), pages 647-63, October.
- Mark Rubinstein, 1976. "The Valuation of Uncertain Income Streams and the Pricing of Options," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 7(2), pages 407-425, Autumn.
- Bruno Jullien & Georges Dionne & Bernard Caillaud, 2000. "Corporate insurance with optimal financial contracting," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 77-105.
- Léautier, Thomas-Olivier & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2013. "On the strategic value of risk management," TSE Working Papers 13-433, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Liu, Tingjun & Parlour, Christine A., 2009. "Hedging and competition," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 492-507, December.
- Léautier, Thomas-Olivier & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2012.
"On the strategic value of risk management,"
TSE Working Papers
12-332, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Léautier, Thomas-Olivier & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 2013. "On the strategic value of risk management," IDEI Working Papers 797, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucy Ayre).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.