Welfare Consequences of a Recent Tax Reform in Mexico
AbstractThis paper evaluates the indirect tax reforms that took place in Mexico in 1995 and 1998, focusing on their impact on welfare at the household and social levels. The empirical analysis is based on the estimation of an Almost Ideal Demand system, using its correct nonlinear version and by means of the generalized method of moments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tecnológico de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México in its series EGAP Working Papers with number 200306.
Date of creation: Mar 2000
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Estudios Económicos, 2001, vol. 16, pp. 57-72.
indirect tax reform; empirical analysis;
Other versions of this item:
- Carlos M. Urzúa, 2001. "Welfare consequences of a recent tax reform in Mexico," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 16(1), pages 57-72.
- H22 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Incidence
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1994.
"Tax reform and welfare measurement: do we need demand system estimation?,"
IFS Working Papers
W94/11, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Banks, James & Blundell, Richard & Lewbel, Arthur, 1996. "Tax Reform and Welfare Measurement: Do We Need Demand System Estimation?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(438), pages 1227-41, September.
- Charles L. Ballard & Don Fullerton & John B. Shoven & John Whalley, 1985. "General Equilibrium Analysis of Tax Policies," NBER Chapters, in: A General Equilibrium Model for Tax Policy Evaluation, pages 6-24 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chen, Kevin Z., 1998. "The symmetric problem in the linear almost ideal demand system," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 309-315, June.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- King, Mervyn A., 1983. "Welfare analysis of tax reforms using household data," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 183-214, July.
- Heien, Dale & Jarvis, Lovell S. & Perali, Federico, 1989. "Food consumption in Mexico : Demographic and economic effects," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 167-179, May.
- Jarque, Carlos M., 1987. "An application of LDV models to household expenditure analysis in Mexico," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1-2), pages 31-53.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
- Shoven,John B. & Whalley,John, 1992.
"Applying General Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521319867, April.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Keen, Michael, 1986. "Zero Expenditures and the Estimation of Engel Curves," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 1(3), pages 277-86, July.
- Daniel T. Slesnick, 1998. "Empirical Approaches to the Measurement of Welfare," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 2108-2165, December.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:8:y:2005:i:4:p:1-8 is not listed on IDEAS
- Urzúa, Carlos M., 2004. "The Ahmad-Stern approach revisited: Variants and an application to Mexico," EGAP Working Papers 2004-05, Tecnológico de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México.
- Carlos M. Urzúa, 2005. "The Ahmad-Stern approach revisited," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 8(4), pages 1-8.
- Urzúa, Carlos M., 2003. "Igualdad y eficiencia: Un recuento de esquemas tributarios para México," EGAP Working Papers 2004-01, Tecnológico de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de México.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amaranta Arroyo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.