Income Distribution Effects of EU Rural Development Policies: The Case of Farm Investment Support
AbstractThis paper analyses income distribution effects of investment support granted under the EU Rural Development Policies (RDP). In the short-run and with perfect credit markets, the size of gains for farms depends on the extent to which investment additionality is enforced. If additionality is not enforced, farms gain an important share of the total support but do not have incentive to increase capital use. If additionality is enforced, gains for farms are lower and farms can even lose. With imperfect rural credit markets, farms would most likely prefer to increase capital use even without enforcement of investment additionality and total welfare increases. In the long-run farm benefits from this investment may be enhanced because of the multiplier effect. Introducing minimum thresholds as eligibility criteria may deter small farms from uptaking the investment support even if investment additionally is not enforced. Benefits from investment support are shared with capital suppliers. Gains of capital suppliers depend on the size of the capital supply elasticity and are conditional on the EU support to increase farm capital demand.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels in its series EERI Research Paper Series with number EERI_RP_2009_01.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2009
Date of revision:
Rural development policies; policy rents; policy modelling; farm investment.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
- Q18 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agricultural Policy; Food Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2005.
"Short- and Long-Run Credit Constraints in French Agriculture: A Directional Distance Function Framework Using Expenditure-Constrained Profit Functions,"
2005-ECO-02, IESEG School of Management.
- Stéphane Blancard & Jean-Philippe Boussemart & Walter Briec & Kristiaan Kerstens, 2006. "Short- and Long-Run Credit Constraints in French Agriculture: A Directional Distance Function Framework Using Expenditure-Constrained Profit Functions," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(2), pages 351-364.
- van Ittersum, Martin K. & Ewert, Frank & Heckelei, Thomas & Wery, Jacques & Alkan Olsson, Johanna & Andersen, Erling & Bezlepkina, Irina & Brouwer, Floor & Donatelli, Marcello & Flichman, Guillermo & , 2008. "Integrated assessment of agricultural systems - A component-based framework for the European Union (SEAMLESS)," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 96(1-3), pages 150-165, March.
- Pavel Ciaian & Johan Swinnen, 2005.
"Land Market Imperfections and Agricultural Policy Impacts in the New EU Member States: A Partial Equilibrium Analysis,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
15805, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Pavel Ciaian & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2006. "Land Market Imperfections and Agricultural Policy Impacts in the New EU Member States: A Partial Equilibrium Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(4), pages 799-815.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Oglethorpe, David R. & Sanderson, Roy A., 1999. "An ecological-economic model for agri-environmental policy analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 245-266, February.
- Salhofer, K., 1996. "Efficient income redistribution for a small country using optimal combined instruments," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 191-199, February.
- Schader, Christian & Sanders, Jurn & Offermann, Frank & Lampkin, Nicolas & Stolze, Matthias, 2008. "Cost-Effectiveness Evaluation of Swiss Agri-Environmental Measures on Sector Level," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6604, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Curtiss, Jarmila & Latruffe, Laure & Medonos, Tomas & Ratinger, Tomas, 2007. "Investment Activity and Ownership Structure of Czech Corporate Farms," 104th Seminar, September 5-8, 2007, Budapest, Hungary 7826, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bollman, Ray D., 1999. "Human Capital and Rural Development: What Are the Linkages?," Agriculture and Rural Working Paper Series 28025, Statistics Canada.
- Catherine Benjamin & Euan Phimister, 2002. "Does Capital Market Structure Affect Farm Investment? A Comparison using French and British Farm-Level Panel Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(4), pages 1115-1129.
- Alston, Julian M. & James, Jennifer S., 2002. "The incidence of agricultural policy," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 33, pages 1689-1749 Elsevier.
- Joe Dewbre & Jes�s Ant�n & Wyatt Thompton, 2001. "The Transfer Efficiency and Trade Effects of Direct Payments," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1204-1214.
- Salhofer, Klaus & Schmid, Erwin, 2004. "Distributive leakages of agricultural support: some empirical evidence," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 51-62, January.
- Bruce Gardner, 1981. "Efficient Redistribution in Agricultural Commodity Markets," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 20, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Peter Verburg & Bas Eickhout & Hans Meijl, 2008. "A multi-scale, multi-model approach for analyzing the future dynamics of European land use," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 42(1), pages 57-77, March.
- Pavel Ciaian & Jan Pokryvcak, 2004. "Agricultural Reform in Slovakia," Czech Journal of Economics and Finance (Finance a uver), Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, vol. 54(9-10), pages 420-435, September.
- Laure Latruffe, 2005. "The Impact of Credit Market Imperfections on Farm Investment in Poland," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(3), pages 349-362.
- John E. Floyd, 1965. "The Effects of Farm Price Supports on the Returns to Land and Labor in Agriculture," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 73, pages 148.
- Chantal Le Mouel, 2004. "Impacts of alternative agricultural income support schemes on multiple policy goals," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 31(2), pages 125-148, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia van Hove).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.