Structurally Sound Dynamic Index Futures Hedging
AbstractPortfolio managers use index futures for a variety of reasons. Regardless of their motivation, they will keep a close eye on the relation between the futures and their stock portfolio returns. Whenever this relation is perceived to have changed, the manager will decide whether it is worthwhile to rebalance the portfolio mix. Exact measures as to when and how much rebalancing should occur, have not yet been established. This paper proposes a heuristic algorithm to dynamically update hedged portfolios. This dynamic hedging algorithm is based on a Reverse Order Cusumsquare (ROC) testing procedure, proposed by Pesaran and Timmermann (2002), to optimally determine forecast estimation windows. In a comparison with standard alternatives (expanding window, EWLS window and rolling window), we find significant improvements in hedging performance, both in- and out-of-samp
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings with number 80.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
reverse order cusum-square test; index futures hedging;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-10-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2004-10-30 (Finance)
- NEP-RMG-2004-10-30 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Robert E. Cumby & Stephen Figlewski, 1986.
"Estimation of the optimal futures hedge,"
Research Working Paper
86-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Lafuente, Juan A. & Novales, Alfonso, 2003.
"Optimal hedging under departures from the cost-of-carry valuation: Evidence from the Spanish stock index futures market,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1053-1078, June.
- Alfonso Novales & J.A. Lafuente, 2002. "Optimal hedging under departures from the cost-of-carry valuation: evidence from the Spanish stock index futures market," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 0223, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Elena Andreou & Eric Ghysels, 2003.
"Test for Breaks in the Conditional Co-Movements of Asset Returns,"
University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics
3-2003, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Elena Andreou & Eric Ghysels, 2002. "Tests for Breaks in the Conditional Co-movements of Asset Returns," CIRANO Working Papers 2002s-59, CIRANO.
- Darren Butterworth & Phil Holmes, 2000. ""Ex Ante" Hedging Effectiveness of UK Stock Index Futures Contracts: Evidence for the FTSE 100 and FTSE Mid 250 Contracts," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 6(4), pages 441-457.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003.
"Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate examples of Bai-Perron procedure," Statistical Software Components RTZ00008, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "MULTIPLEBREAKS: RATS procedure to perform multiple structural change analysis," Statistical Software Components RTS00138, Boston College Department of Economics.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998. "Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models," Cahiers de recherche 9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Tom Doan, . "BAIPERRON: RATS procedure to perform Bai-Perron Test for Multiple Structural Changes," Statistical Software Components RTS00013, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert, 2002. "Dynamic Conditional Correlation: A Simple Class of Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 339-50, July.
- Ah-Boon Sim & Ralf Zurbruegg, 2001. "Optimal hedge ratios and alternative hedging strategies in the presence of cointegrated time-varying risks," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(3), pages 269-283.
- Gita Persand & Chris Brooks & Simon P. Burke, 2003.
"Multivariate GARCH models: software choice and estimation issues,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(6), pages 725-734.
- Chris Brooks & Simon Burke & Gita Persand, 2003. "Multivariate GARCH Models: Software Choice and Estimation Issues," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2003-07, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Allan Timmermann & M. Hashem Pesaran, 2002.
"Market Timing and Return Prediction under Model Instability,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp412, Financial Markets Group.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Timmermann, Allan, 2002. "Market timing and return prediction under model instability," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 495-510, December.
- Tong, Wilson H. S., 1996. "An examination of dynamic hedging," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 19-35, February.
- Baillie, Richard T & Myers, Robert J, 1991. "Bivariate GARCH Estimation of the Optimal Commodity Futures Hedge," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(2), pages 109-24, April-Jun.
- Edgerton, David & Wells, Curt, 1994.
"Critical Values for the Cusumsq Statistic in Medium and Large Sized Samples,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 56(3), pages 355-65, August.
- Tom Doan, . "CUSUMTESTS: RATS procedure to compute and display CUSUM and CUSUMQ tests," Statistical Software Components RTS00045, Boston College Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.