Combining time-varying and dynamic multi-period optimal hedging models
AbstractThis paper presents an effective way of combining two distinct approaches used in the hedging literature--dynamic programming (DP) and time-series (GARCH) econometrics. Theoretically consistent yet realistic and tractable models are developed for traders interested in hedging a portfolio. Results from a bootstrapping experiment used to construct confidence bands around the competing portfolios suggest that, whereas DP--GARCH outperforms the GARCH approach, they are statistically equivalent to the OLS approach when the markets are stable. Traders may achieve significant gains, however, by adopting the DP--GARCH model rather than the OLS approach when markets are volatile. Copyright 2002, Oxford University Press.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics in its journal European Review of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://www.erae.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Haigh, Michael S. & Holt, Matthew T., 2002. "Combining Time-Varying And Dynamic Multi-Period Optimal Hedging Models," Working Papers, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics 28593, University of Maryland, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lence, Sergio H. & Kimle, Kevin & Hayenga, Marvin L., 1992.
"A Dynamic Minimum Variance Hedge,"
Staff General Research Papers
11414, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Karp, Larry S, 1988.
"Dynamic Hedging with Uncertain Production,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 29(4), pages 621-37, November.
- Karp, Larry, 1985. "Dynamic Hedging with Uncertain Production," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley qt20k8j5kh, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Rausser, Gordon C. & Carter, Colin, 1981.
"Futures market efficiency in the soybean complex,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
139R, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Rausser, Gordon C. & Carter, Colin A., 1982. "Futures market efficiency in the soybean complex," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley qt7d48x9qc, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1983. "The Time Pattern of Hedging and the Volatility of Futures Prices," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(2), pages 249-66, April.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Michael S. Haigh & Matthew T. Holt, 2000. "Hedging Multiple Price Uncertainty in International Grain Trade," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(4), pages 881-896.
- Ederington, Louis H, 1979. "The Hedging Performance of the New Futures Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 34(1), pages 157-70, March.
- Baillie, Richard T & Myers, Robert J, 1991. "Bivariate GARCH Estimation of the Optimal Commodity Futures Hedge," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(2), pages 109-24, April-Jun.
- Cecchetti, Stephen G & Cumby, Robert E & Figlewski, Stephen, 1988.
"Estimation of the Optimal Futures Hedge,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 623-30, November.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Robert E. Cumby & Stephen Figlewski, 1986. "Estimation of the optimal futures hedge," Research Working Paper, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City 86-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Peter S. Sephton, 1993. "Optimal Hedge Ratios at the Winnipeg Commodity Exchange," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(1), pages 175-93, February.
- Gagnon, Louis & Lypny, Gregory J. & McCurdy, Thomas H., 1998. "Hedging foreign currency portfolios," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 197-220, September.
- Pennings, Joost M. E. & M. Leuthold, Raymond, 2001. "Introducing new futures contracts: reinforcement versus cannibalism," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 659-675, October.
- Nance, Deana R & Smith, Clifford W, Jr & Smithson, Charles W, 1993. " On the Determinants of Corporate Hedging," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 267-84, March.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Rodt, Marc & Schäfer, Klaus, 2005. "Absicherung von Strompreisrisiken mit Futures: Theorie und Empirie," Freiberg Working Papers 2005,18, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.