Multivariate GARCH models: software choice and estimation issues
AbstractA large number of important practical tasks can be accomplished using a multivariate GARCH model. This paper examines the relatively small number of software packages that are currently available for estimating such models, in spite of their widespread use. The review focuses upon estimation issues and differences in available options for controlling the optimisation, and the review then considers an application to the estimation of optimal hedge ratios. Large differences in estimated parameters and standard errors are observed, but these are found to generate only modest differences in optimal hedge ratios and virtually indiscernible differences in model performance measures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 18 (2003)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
Other versions of this item:
- Chris Brooks & Simon Burke & Gita Persand, 2003. "Multivariate GARCH Models: Software Choice and Estimation Issues," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2003-07, Henley Business School, Reading University.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Calzolari, Giorgio & Panattoni, Lorenzo, 1996.
"Analytic Derivatives and the Computation of GARCH Estimates,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 399-417, July-Aug..
- Fiorentini,G. & Calzolari,G. & Panattoni,L., 1995. "Analytic Derivatives and the Computation of Garch Estimates," Papers 9519, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Brooks, Chris & Burke, Simon P. & Persand, Gita, 2001. "Benchmarks and the accuracy of GARCH model estimation," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 45-56.
- Baillie, Richard T & Myers, Robert J, 1991. "Bivariate GARCH Estimation of the Optimal Commodity Futures Hedge," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(2), pages 109-24, April-Jun.
- Chris Brooks & Olan T. Henry & Gita Persand, 2002. "The Effect of Asymmetries on Optimal Hedge Ratios," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(2), pages 333-352, April.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- Colavecchio, Roberta & Funke, Michael, 2008.
"Volatility transmissions between renminbi and Asia-Pacific on-shore and off-shore U.S. dollar futures,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 635-648, December.
- Michael Funke & Roberta Colavecchio, 2008. "Volatility Transmission between Renminbi and Asia-Pacific on-shore and off-shore U.S. dollar futures," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20812, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Roberta Colavecchio & Michael Funke, 2008. "Volatility Transmission between Renminbi and Asia-Pacific on-shore and off-shore U.S. dollar futures," Quantitative Macroeconomics Working Papers 20803, Hamburg University, Department of Economics.
- Colavecchio , Roberta & Funke, Michael, 2006. "Volatility transmissions between renminbi and Asia-Pacific on-shore and off-shore U.S. dollar futures," BOFIT Discussion Papers 16/2006, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Goeij, P. C. de & Marquering, W., 2004. "Modeling the conditional covariance between stock and bond returns: A multivariate GARCH approach," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-194709, Tilburg University.
- Nico Keilman & Dinh Quang Pham, 2004. "Empirical errors and predicted errors in fertility, mortality and migration forecasts in the European Economic Area," Discussion Papers 386, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Silvennoinen, Annastiina & Teräsvirta, Timo, 2007.
"Multivariate GARCH models,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
669, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 18 Jan 2008.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen, 2003.
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- A. Talha Yalta & A. Yasemin Yalta, 2012.
"Should Economists Use Open Source Software for Doing Research?,"
Hacettepe University Department of Economics Working Papers
20127, Hacettepe University, Department of Economics.
- A. Yalta & A. Yalta, 2010. "Should Economists Use Open Source Software for Doing Research?," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 35(4), pages 371-394, April.
- A. Talha Yalta & A. Yasemin Yalta, 2010. "Should Economists Use Open Source Software for Doing Research?," Working Papers 1007, TOBB University of Economics and Technology, Department of Economics.
- Linkon Mondal, 2012. "Foreign Exchange Market Intervention and Exchange Rate Volatility: A Bivariate GARCH Model for India," The IUP Journal of Bank Management, IUP Publications, vol. 0(4), pages 29-40, November.
- Franck Martin & Jiangxingyun Zhang, 2014. "Correlation and volatility on bond markets during the EMU crisis: does the OMT change the process ?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 34(2), pages 1327-1349.
- Patrick McGlenchy & Paul Kofman, 2004. "Structurally Sound Dynamic Index Futures Hedging," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 80, Econometric Society.
- Kwan, Clarence C.Y., 2008. "Estimation error in the average correlation of security returns and shrinkage estimation of covariance and correlation matrices," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 236-244, December.
- Ooms, M., 2008. "Trends in Applied Econometrics Software Development 1985-2008, an analysis of Journal of Applied Econometrics research articles, software reviews, data and code," Serie Research Memoranda 0021, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Krishnakumar, Jaya & Kabili, Andi & Roko, Ilir, 2012. "Estimation of SEM with GARCH errors," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 3153-3181.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.