A Bootstrap Theory for Weakly Integrated Processes
AbstractThis paper develops a bootstrap theory for models including autoregressive time series with roots approaching to unity as the sample size increases. In particular, we consider the processes with roots converging to unity with rates slower than n?1. We call such processes weakly integrated processes. It is established that the bootstrap relying on the estimated autoregressive model is generally consistent for the weakly integrated processes. Both the sample and bootstrap statistics of the weakly integrated processes are shown to yield the same normal asymptotics. Moreover, for the asymptotically pivotal statistics of the weakly integrated processes, the bootstrap is expected to provide an asymptotic refinement and give better approximations for the finite sample distributions than the first order asymptotic theory. For the weakly integrated processes, the magnitudes of potential refinements by the bootstrap are shown to be proportional to the rate at which the root of the underlying process converges to unity. The order of boostrap refinement can be as large as o(n-1/2+_) for any espial > 0. Our theory helps to explain the actual improvements observed by many practitioners, which are made by the use of the bootstrap in analyzing the models with roots close to unity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Rice University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2003-16.
Date of creation: Jun 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: MS-22, 6100 South Main, Houston, TX 77005-1892
Phone: (713) 527-4875
Fax: (713) 285-5278
Web page: http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~econ/papers/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Park, Joon Y., 2006. "A bootstrap theory for weakly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 639-672, August.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joon Y. Park, 2003.
"Bootstrap Unit Root Tests,"
Econometric Society, vol. 71(6), pages 1845-1895, November.
- Joon Y. Park, 2000. "Bootstrap Unit Root Tests," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1587, Econometric Society.
- Park, Joon, 2002. "Bootstrap Unit Root Tests," Working Papers 2003-04, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Joon Y. Park & Peter C. B. Phillips, 1999.
"Nonlinear Regressions with Integrated Time Series,"
Working Paper Series
no6, Institute of Economic Research, Seoul National University.
- Atsushi Inoue & Lutz Kilian, 2000.
"Bootstrapping Autoregressive Processes with Possible Unit Roots,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
0401, Econometric Society.
- Atsushi Inoue & Lutz Kilian, 2002. "Bootstrapping Autoregressive Processes with Possible Unit Roots," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 377-391, January.
- Park, Joon, 2003. "Weak Unit Roots," Working Papers 2003-17, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Chang, Yoosoon & Park, Joon Y. & Song, Kevin, 2006.
"Bootstrapping cointegrating regressions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 703-739, August.
- Yoosoon Chang & Joon Y. Park, 2003. "A Sieve Bootstrap For The Test Of A Unit Root," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(4), pages 379-400, 07.
- Yoosoon Chang & Joon Park, 2002. "On The Asymptotics Of Adf Tests For Unit Roots," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(4), pages 431-447.
- Nankervis, John C & Savin, N E, 1996. "The Level and Power of the Bootstrap t Test in the AR(1) Model with Trend," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(2), pages 161-68, April.
- Park, Joon Y., 2002. "An Invariance Principle For Sieve Bootstrap In Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(02), pages 469-490, April.
- Shibamoto, Masahiko, 2008. "The estimation of monetary policy reaction function in a data-rich environment: The case of Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 497-520, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.