Borrow Cheap, Buy High? The Determinants of Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts
AbstractThis paper provides an empirical analysis of the financial structure of large buyouts. We collect detailed information on the financing of 1157 worldwide private equity deals from 1980 to 2008. Buyout leverage is cross-sectionally unrelated to the leverage of matched public firms, and is largely driven by factors other than what explains leverage in public firms. In particular, the economy-wide cost of borrowing is the main driver of both the quantity and the composition of debt in these buyouts. Credit conditions also have a strong effect on prices paid in buyouts, even after controlling for prices of equivalent public market companies. Finally, the use of high leverage in transactions negatively affects fund performance, controlling for fund vintage and other relevant characteristics. The results are consistent with the view that the availability of financing impacts booms and busts in the private equity market, and that agency problems between private equity funds and their investors can affect buyout capital structures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics in its series Working Paper Series with number 2010-9.
Date of creation: Apr 2010
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Ulf Axelson & Tim Jenkinson & Per Strömberg & Michael S. Weisbach, 2013. "Borrow Cheap, Buy High? The Determinants of Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 68(6), pages 2223-2267, December.
- Axelson, Ulf & Jenkinson, Tim & Strömberg, Per Johan & Weisbach, Michael, 2012. "Borrow Cheap, Buy High? The Determinants of Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts," CEPR Discussion Papers 8914, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ulf Axelson & Tim Jenkinson & Per Strömberg & Michael S. Weisbach, 2010. "Borrow Cheap, Buy High? The Determinants of Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts," NBER Working Papers 15952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ulf Axelson & Tim Jenkinsom & Per Strömberg & Michael S. Weisbach, 2012. "Borrow Cheap, Buy High? The Determinants of Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts," FMG Discussion Papers dp698, Financial Markets Group.
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey A. Wurgler & Malcolm P. Baker, 2001.
"Market Timing and Capital Structure,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm181, Yale School of Management.
- Fischer, Edwin O & Heinkel, Robert & Zechner, Josef, 1989. " Dynamic Capital Structure Choice: Theory and Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 19-40, March.
- Demiroglu, Cem & James, Christopher M., 2010. "The role of private equity group reputation in LBO financing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 306-330, May.
- Baker, Malcolm & Greenwood, Robin & Wurgler, Jeffrey, 2003. "The maturity of debt issues and predictable variation in bond returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 261-291, November.
- Cara S. Lown & Donald P. Morgan & Sonali Rohatgi, 2000. "Listening to loan officers: the impact of commercial credit standards on lending and output," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Jul, pages 1-16.
- Victoria Ivashina & Anna Kovner, 2011. "The Private Equity Advantage: Leveraged Buyout Firms and Relationship Banking," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(7), pages 2462-2498.
- Boucly, Quentin & Sraer, David & Thesmar, David, 2011. "Growth LBOs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 432-453.
- Achleitner, Ann-Kristin & Braun, Reiner & Tappeiner, Florian, 2009. "Structure and determinants of financial covenants in leveraged buyouts - evidence from an economy with strong creditor rights," CEFS Working Paper Series 2009-15, Center for Entrepreneurial and Financial Studies (CEFS), Technische Universität München.
- Colla, Paolo & Ippolito, Filippo & Wagner, Hannes F., 2012. "Leverage and pricing of debt in LBOs," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 124-137.
- Florencio Lopez-de-Silanes & Ludovic Phalippou & Oliver Gottschalg, 2011.
"Giants at the Gate: On the Cross-Section of Private Equity Investment Returns,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
11-035/2/DSF12, Tinbergen Institute.
- Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Phalippou, Ludovic & Gottschalg, Olivier, 2010. "Giants at the Gate: On the Cross-section of Private Equity Investment Returns," MPRA Paper 28487, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tykvová, Tereza & Borell, Mariela, 2011.
"Do private equity owners increase risk of financial distress and bankruptcy?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
11-076, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Tykvová, Tereza & Borell, Mariela, 2012. "Do private equity owners increase risk of financial distress and bankruptcy?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 138-150.
- Nadauld, Taylor D. & Weisbach, Michael S., 2012.
"Did securitization affect the cost of corporate debt?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 332-352.
- Taylor D. Nadauld & Michael S. Weisbach, 2011. "Did Securitization Affect the Cost of Corporate Debt?," NBER Working Papers 16849, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nadauld, Taylor D. & Weisbach, Michael S., 2010. "Did Securitization Affect the Cost of Corporate Debt?," Working Paper Series 2010-16, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- David T. Robinson & Berk A. Sensoy, 2011. "Cyclicality, Performance Measurement, and Cash Flow Liquidity in Private Equity," NBER Working Papers 17428, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Achleitner, Ann-Kristin & Braun, Reiner & Engel, Nico, 2011. "Value creation and pricing in buyouts: Empirical evidence from Europe and North America," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 146-161.
- Gregory, David, 2013. "Private equity and financial stability," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 53(1), pages 38-47.
- Thorsten Knauer & Friedrich Sommer, 2012. "Interest barrier rules as a response to highly leveraged transactions: Evidence from the 2008 German business tax reform," Review of Accounting and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 11(2), pages 206-232, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.