The Private Equity Advantage: Leveraged Buyout Firms and Relationship Banking
AbstractThis article examines the impact of leveraged buyout firms' bank relationships on the terms of their syndicated loans. We examine a sample of 1,590 loans financing private equity sponsored leveraged buyouts between 1993 and 2005, and find that private equity firms' bank relationships are an important factor in cross-sectional variation in the loan interest rate and covenant structure. Our results indicate that bank relationships formed through repeated interactions reduce inefficiencies from information asymmetry and allow leveraged buyouts sponsored by private equity firms to occur on favorable loan terms. A one-standard-deviation increase in bank relationship strength is associated with an 8-basis-point (3%) decrease in the spread and a 0.21-basis-point (4%) increase in the maximum debt to EBITDA covenant. We also find evidence that banks price loans to cross-sell other fee business. A one-standard-deviation increase in both bank relationship strength and cross-selling potential translates into as much as a 4-percentage-point increase in equity return to the leveraged buyout firm. The Author 2011. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of The Society for Financial Studies. All rights reserved. For Permissions, please e-mail: email@example.com., Oxford University Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Society for Financial Studies in its journal Review of Financial Studies.
Volume (Year): 24 (2011)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bengtsson, Ola, 2013. "Relational venture capital financing of serial founders," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 308-334.
- Kaplan, Steven N. & StrÃ¶mberg, Per, 2009.
"Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity,"
SIFR Research Report Series, Institute for Financial Research
65, Institute for Financial Research.
- Lily Fang & Victoria Ivashina & Josh Lerner, 2013. "Combining Banking with Private Equity Investing," NBER Working Papers 19300, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tykvová, Tereza & Borell, Mariela, 2011.
"Do private equity owners increase risk of financial distress and bankruptcy?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
11-076, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- TykvovÃ¡, Tereza & Borell, Mariela, 2012. "Do private equity owners increase risk of financial distress and bankruptcy?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 138-150.
- Ulf Axelson & Tim Jenkinson & Per StrÃ¶mberg & Michael S. Weisbach, 2013.
"Borrow Cheap, Buy High? The Determinants of Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts,"
Journal of Finance, American Finance Association,
American Finance Association, vol. 68(6), pages 2223-2267, December.
- Ulf Axelson & Tim Jenkinson & Per StrÃ¶mberg & Michael S. Weisbach, 2012. "Borrow cheap, buy high?: the determinants of leverage and pricing in buyouts," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library 43088, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ulf Axelson & Tim Jenkinsom & Per StrÃ¶mberg & Michael S. Weisbach, 2012. "Borrow Cheap, Buy High? The Determinants of Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts," FMG Discussion Papers, Financial Markets Group dp698, Financial Markets Group.
- Ulf Axelson & Tim Jenkinson & Per Strömberg & Michael S. Weisbach, 2010. "Borrow Cheap, Buy High? The Determinants of Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts," NBER Working Papers 15952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Axelson, Ulf & Jenkinson, Tim & Stromberg, Per & Weisbach, Michael S., 2010. "Borrow Cheap, Buy High? The Determinants of Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts," Working Paper Series 2010-9, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Axelson, Ulf & Jenkinson, Tim & StrÃ¶mberg, Per Johan & Weisbach, Michael, 2012. "Borrow Cheap, Buy High? The Determinants of Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 8914, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Baran, Lindsay C. & King, Tao-Hsien Dolly, 2010. "Going private transactions, bondholder returns, and wealth transfer effects," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1856-1872, August.
- Officer, Micah S. & Ozbas, Oguzhan & Sensoy, Berk A., 2010. "Club deals in leveraged buyouts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 214-240, November.
- Achleitner, Ann-Kristin & Braun, Reiner & Engel, Nico, 2011. "Value creation and pricing in buyouts: Empirical evidence from Europe and North America," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 146-161.
- Achleitner, Ann-Kristin & Braun, Reiner & Tappeiner, Florian, 2009. "Structure and determinants of financial covenants in leveraged buyouts - evidence from an economy with strong creditor rights," CEFS Working Paper Series 2009-15, Center for Entrepreneurial and Financial Studies (CEFS), Technische Universität München.
- Badertscher, Brad A. & Katz, Sharon P. & Rego, Sonja O., 2013. "The separation of ownership and control and corporate tax avoidance," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 228-250.
- Marc Martos-Vila & Matthew Rhodes-Kropf & Jarrad Harford, 2013. "Financial vs. Strategic Buyers," NBER Working Papers 19378, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.