Money, Credit, Monetary Policy and the Business Cycle in the Euro Area
AbstractThis paper uses a data-set including time series data on macroeconomic variables, loans, deposits and interest rates for the euro area in order to study the features of financial intermediation over the business cycle. We find that stylized facts for aggregate monetary and real variables are re- markably similar to what has been found for the US by many studies while we uncover new facts on disaggregated loans and deposits. During the crisis the cyclical behavior of short term interest rates, loans and deposits remain stable but we identify unusual dynamics of longer term loans, deposits and longer term interest rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series Working Papers ECARES with number ECARES 2012-008.
Length: 32 p.
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by:
Money; Loans; Non-financial corporations; Monetary policy; euro area;
Other versions of this item:
- Giannone, Domenico & Lenza, Michele & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 2012. "Money, credit, monetary policy and the business cycle in the euro area," CEPR Discussion Papers 8944, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E51 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Money Supply; Credit; Money Multipliers
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-03-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2012-03-21 (Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2012-03-21 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2012-03-21 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2012-03-21 (Monetary Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peersman, Gert, 2011.
"Macroeconomic Effects of Unconventional Monetary Policy in the Euro Area,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8348, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- G. Peersman, 2011. "Macroeconomic Effects of Unconventional Monetary Policy in the Euro Area," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/734, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Gert Peersman, 2011. "Macroeconomic Effects of Unconventional Monetary Policy in the Euro Area," CESifo Working Paper Series 3589, CESifo Group Munich.
- Peersman, Gert, 2011. "Macroeconomic effects of unconventional monetary policy in the euro area," Working Paper Series 1397, European Central Bank.
- Matteo Barigozzi & Antonio Conti, 2013. "On the Stability of Euro Area Money Demand and its Implications for Monetary Policy," LEM Papers Series 2013/11, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Afanasyeva, Elena, 2012. "Atypical Behavior of Money and Credit: Evidence From Conditional Forecasts," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 65405, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Matteo Ciccarelli & Eva Ortega & Maria Teresa Valderrama, 2012.
"Heterogeneity and cross-country spillovers in macroeconomic-financial linkages,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
1241, Banco de Espa�a.
- Ciccarelli, Matteo & Ortega, Eva & Valderrama, Maria Teresa, 2012. "Heterogeneity and cross-country spillovers in macroeconomic-financial linkages," Working Paper Series 1498, European Central Bank.
- Eickmeier, Sandra & Gambacorta, Leonardo & Hofmann, Boris, 2013.
"Understanding global liquidity,"
03/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Afanasyeva, Elena, 2013. "Atypical behavior of credit: Evidence from a monetary VAR," IMFS Working Paper Series 70, Institute for Monetary and Financial Stability (IMFS), Goethe University Frankfurt.
- G. Peersman, 2011. "Bank Lending Shocks and the Euro Area Business Cycle," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 11/766, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- David Cobham & Yue Kang, 2012.
"Financial Crisis And Quantitative Easing: Can Broad Money Tell Us Anything?,"
University of Manchester, vol. 80, pages 54-76, 09.
- David Cobham & Yue Kang, 2012. "Financial crisis and quantitative easing: can broad money tell us anything?," Heriot-Watt University Economics Discussion Papers 1206, Department of Economics, School of Management and Languages, Heriot Watt University.
- Carlo Altavilla & Domenico Giannone & Michele Lenza, 2014. "The Financial and Macroeconomic Effects of the OMT Announcements," CSEF Working Papers 352, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2012. "Disentangling the Channels of the 2007-2009 Recession," NBER Working Papers 18094, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gert Peersman, 2011. "Macroeconomic consequences of different types of credit market disturbances and non-conventional monetary policy in the euro area," 2011 Meeting Papers 333, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gertrud Errit & Lenno Uusküla, 2013. "Euro Area monetary policy transmission in Estonia," Bank of Estonia Working Papers wp2013-7, Bank of Estonia, revised 09 Dec 2013.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 2012. "Disentangling the Channels of the 2007-09 Recession," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 44(1 (Spring), pages 81-156.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.