The Countercyclical Capital Buffer of Basel III: A Critical Assessment
AbstractWe provide a critical assessment of the countercyclical capital buffer in the new regulatory framework known as Basel III, which is based on the deviation of the credit-to-GDP ratio with respect to its trend. We argue that a mechanical application of the buffer would tend to reduce capital requirements when GDP growth is high and increase them when GDP growth is low, so it may end up exacerbating the inherent pro-cyclicality of risk-sensitive bank capital regulation. We also note that Basel III does not address pro-cyclicality in any other way. We propose a fully rule-based smoothing of minimum capital requirements based on GDP growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 8304.
Date of creation: Mar 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- Rafael Repullo & Jesús Saurina, 2011. "The Countercyclical Capital Buffer Of Basel Iii: A Critical Assessment," Working Papers wp2011_1102, CEMFI.
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2011-04-02 (Banking)
- NEP-BEC-2011-04-02 (Business Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2011-04-02 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Domenico Giannone & Michele Lenza & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2008.
"Business Cycles in the Euro Area,"
NBER Working Papers
14529, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Domenico Giannone & Michèle Lenza & Lucrezia Reichlin, 2008. "Business Cycles in the euro Area," Working Papers ECARES 2008_040, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Giannone, Domenico & Lenza, Michele & Reichlin, Lucrezia, 2009. "Business Cycles in the Euro Area," CEPR Discussion Papers 7124, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Jose A. Lopez & Jesús Saurina, 2007.
"Empirical analysis of corporate credit lines,"
Working Paper Series
2007-14, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Rafael Repullo & Javier Suarez, 2008.
"The Procyclical Effects Of Basel Ii,"
- José L. Fillat & Judit Montoriol-Garriga, 2010. "Addressing the pro-cyclicality of capital requirements with a dynamic loan loss provision system," Risk and Policy Analysis Unit Working Paper QAU10-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Gabriel Jiménez & Jose A. Lopez & Jesús Saurina, 2009. "EAD calibration for corporate credit lines," Working Paper Series 2009-02, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- �scar Jord� & Moritz Schularick & Alan M Taylor, 2011.
"Financial Crises, Credit Booms, and External Imbalances: 140 Years of Lessons,"
IMF Economic Review,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 59(2), pages 340-378, June.
- Òscar Jordà & Moritz Schularick & Alan M. Taylor, 2010. "Financial Crises, Credit Booms, and External Imbalances: 140 Years of Lessons," NBER Working Papers 16567, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Claudio Borio, 2011.
"Rediscovering the Macroeconomic Roots of Financial Stability Policy: Journey, Challenges, and a Way Forward,"
Annual Review of Financial Economics,
Annual Reviews, vol. 3(1), pages 87-117, December.
- Claudio Borio, 2011. "Rediscovering the macroeconomic roots of financial stability policy: journey, challenges and a way forward," BIS Working Papers 354, Bank for International Settlements.
- Michal Skorepa, 2014. "Concurrent Capital Buffers in a Banking Group," Occasional Publications - Chapters in Edited Volumes, in: CNB Financial Stability Report 2013/2014, chapter 0, pages 128-136 Czech National Bank, Research Department.
- Ludwig, Björn, 2011. "Warum der Baseler Ausschluss für Bankenaufsicht mit seinem antizyklischen Kapitalpuffer falsch liegt," CIW Discussion Papers 7/2011, University of Münster, Center for Interdisciplinary Economics (CIW).
- Köhler, Matthias, 2012. "Which banks are more risky? The impact of loan growth and business model on bank risk-taking," Discussion Papers 33/2012, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Gete, Pedro & Tiernan, Natalie, 2014. "Lending Standards and Countercyclical Capital Requirements under Imperfect Information," MPRA Paper 54486, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mathias Drehmann & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2014. "The credit-to-GDP gap and countercyclical capital buffers: questions and answers," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Costas N. Kanellopoulos, 2012. "Employment and worker flows during the financial crisis," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 36, pages 31-41, April.
- Farrell, Greg, 2014. "Countercyclical capital buffers and real-time credit-to-GDP gap estimates: A South African perspective," MPRA Paper 55368, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mathias Drehmann & Claudio Borio & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2011.
"Anchoring countercyclical capital buffers: the role of credit aggregates,"
BIS Working Papers
355, Bank for International Settlements.
- Mathias Drehmann & Claudio Borio & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2011. "Anchoring Countercyclical Capital Buffers: The role of Credit Aggregates," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 7(4), pages 189-240, December.
- Bertay, Ata Can & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2012.
"Bank ownership and credit over the business cycle: Is lending by state banks less procyclical?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9034, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Can Bertay, A. & Demirgüc-Kunt, A. & Huizinga, H.P., 2012. "Bank Ownership and Credit over the Business Cycle: Is Lending by State Banks Less Procyclical?," Discussion Paper 2012-049, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Bertay, Ata Can & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 2012. "Bank ownership and credit over the business cycle : is lending by state banks less procyclical?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6110, The World Bank.
- Guillermo Perry, 2013. "Regional Public Goods in Finance, Trade and Infrastructure," DOCUMENTOS CEDE 011888, UNIVERSIDAD DE LOS ANDES-CEDE.
- Olivier Bruno & André Cartapanis & Eric Nasica, 2014.
"Bank Leverage, Financial Fragility and Prudential Regulation,"
GREDEG Working Papers
2014-12, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Economie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis.
- Olivier Bruno & André Cartapanis & Eric Nasica, 2013. "Bank leverage, financial fragility and prudential regulation," Working Papers halshs-00853701, HAL.
- Balboa, Marina & López-Espinosa, Germán & Rubia, Antonio, 2013. "Nonlinear dynamics in discretionary accruals: An analysis of bank loan-loss provisions," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5186-5207.
- Behn, Markus & Detken, Carsten & Peltonen, Tuomas A. & Schudel, Willem, 2013. "Setting countercyclical capital buffers based on early warning models: would it work?," Working Paper Series 1604, European Central Bank.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Daniilidis, Ioannis & Delis, Manthos D., 2014.
"Bank procyclicality and output: Issues and policies,"
Journal of Economics and Business,
Elsevier, vol. 72(C), pages 58-83.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Ioannis, Daniilidis & Manthos, Delis, 2013. "Bank procyclicality and output: Issues and policies," MPRA Paper 50830, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alexander Michaelides, 2012. "Banking Crisis in Cyprus and in the Eurozone," Cyprus Economic Policy Review, University of Cyprus, Economics Research Centre, vol. 6(2), pages 41-47, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.