Risk and Inequality Aversion in Social Dilemmas
AbstractWe experimentally investigate cooperative behavior in a social dilemma situation, where the socially efficient outcome may be encouraged by risk aversion and/or inequality aversion.The first part of our experiment is devoted to the elicitation of subjects' aversion profile, taking care to not confuse the two dimensions. Subjects are then grouped by three according to their aversion profiles, and interact in a repeated social dilemma game. In this game, agents are characterised by a social status so that higher the agent's status, higher will be her earnings. Cooperation is costly for a majority of agents at each period, but statuses can be reversed in future periods. We show that cooperation is strongly influenced by the group's aversion profile. Groups averse in both dimensions cooperate more than groups averse in only one dimension. Moreover cooperation seems to be more affected by risk aversion, whereas one might interpret cooperative behavior as an inequality averse or altruistic attitude.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam in its series Working Papers with number 09.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2009
Date of revision: Feb 2009
Risk aversion; Inequality aversion; Social preferences; Social dilemmas; Experimental economics;
Other versions of this item:
- C92 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Laboratory, Group Behavior
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Geoffrey Brennan & Werner Güth & Luis G. Gonzalez & M. Vittoria Levati, 2005.
"Attitudes toward Private and Collective Risks in Individual and Strategic Choice Situations,"
Papers on Strategic Interaction
2005-22, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- Brennan, Geoffrey & González, Luis G. & Güth, Werner & Levati, M. Vittoria, 2008. "Attitudes toward private and collective risk in individual and strategic choice situations," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 253-262, July.
- Fehr, Ernst & Schmidt, Klaus M., 1998.
"A Theory of Fairness, Competition and Cooperation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1812, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ernst Fehr & Klaus M. Schmidt, 1999. "A Theory Of Fairness, Competition, And Cooperation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(3), pages 817-868, August.
- Kodde, David A. & Palm, Franz C., 1986.
"Wald criteria for jointly testing equality and inequality restrictions,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-5750, Maastricht University.
- Kodde, David A & Palm, Franz C, 1986. "Wald Criteria for Jointly Testing Equality and Inequality Restriction s," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(5), pages 1243-48, September.
- Michael Rothschild & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1972.
"Some Further Results on the Measurement of Inequality,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
344, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1973. "Some further results on the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 188-204, April.
- Werner Güth & M. Vittoria Levati & Matteo Ploner, 2008.
"On The Social Dimension Of Time And Risk Preferences: An Experimental Study,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 46(2), pages 261-272, 04.
- M. Vittoria Levati & Werner Güth & Matteo Ploner, 2005. "On the social dimension of time and risk preferences: An experimental study," Papers on Strategic Interaction 2005-26, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- Cowell, Frank A. & Schokkaert, Erik, 2001. "Risk perceptions and distributional judgments," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 941-952, May.
- Fredrik Carlsson & Dinky Daruvala & Olof Johansson-Stenman, 2005.
"Are People Inequality-Averse, or Just Risk-Averse?,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 72(3), pages 375-396, 08.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Bosmans, Kristof & Schokkaert, Erik, 2004. "Social welfare, the veil of ignorance and purely individual risk: An emperical examination," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-15455, Maastricht University.
- Thibault Gajdos, 2001. "Les fondements axiomatiques de la mesure normative des inégalités," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00086039, HAL.
- M. Rabin, 2001.
"Incorporating Fairness into Game Theory and Economics,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
511, David K. Levine.
- Rabin, Matthew, 1993. "Incorporating Fairness into Game Theory and Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1281-1302, December.
- Matthew Rabin., 1992. "Incorporating Fairness into Game Theory and Economics," Economics Working Papers 92-199, University of California at Berkeley.
- Amiel, Yoram & Cowell, F. A. & Polovin, Avraham, 2001. "Risk perceptions, income transformations and inequality," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 964-976, May.
- Simon Gächter & Christian Thöni, 2005.
"Social Learning and Voluntary Cooperation Among Like-Minded People,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 3(2-3), pages 303-314, 04/05.
- Simon Gächter & Christian Thöni, 2004. "Social learning and voluntary cooperation among like-minded people," University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2004 2004-12, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Roberto Burlando & Francesco Guala, 2005. "Heterogeneous Agents in Public Goods Experiments," Experimental Economics, Springer, vol. 8(1), pages 35-54, April.
- Shogren, Jason F., 1987. "Negative conjectures and increased public good provision," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 181-184.
- Ravallion, Martin & Lokshin, Michael, 2000. "Who wants to redistribute?: The tunnel effect in 1990s Russia," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 87-104, April.
- Rothschild, Michael & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "Increasing risk: I. A definition," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 225-243, September.
- Charles A. Holt & Susan K. Laury, 2002. "Risk Aversion and Incentive Effects," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1644-1655, December.
- Amiel, Yoram & Creedy, John & Hurn, Stan, 1999. " Measuring Attitudes towards Inequality," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 101(1), pages 83-96, March.
- Axel Ockenfels & Gary E. Bolton, 2000. "ERC: A Theory of Equity, Reciprocity, and Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 166-193, March.
- Yoram Kroll & Liema Davidovitz, 2003. "Inequality Aversion versus Risk Aversion," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 70(277), pages 19-29, February.
- Sabrina Teyssier, 2012. "Inequity and risk aversion in sequential public good games," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 151(1), pages 91-119, April.
- Alexander W. Cappelen & James Konow & Erik ?. S?rensen & Bertil Tungodden, 2013.
"Just Luck: An Experimental Study of Risk-Taking and Fairness,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 103(4), pages 1398-1413, June.
- Cappelen, Alexander W. & Konow, James & Sørensen, Erik Ø. & Tungodden, Bertil, 2010. "Just Luck: An Experimental Study of Risk Taking and Fairness," Discussion Paper Series in Economics 4/2010, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Cappelen, Alexander W & Konow, James & Sorensen, Erik O & Tungodden, Bertil, 2010. "Just luck: an experimental study of risk taking and fairness," MPRA Paper 24475, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sabrina Teyssier, 2009. "Inequity and Risk Aversion in Sequential Public Good Games," TWI Research Paper Series 47, Thurgauer Wirtschaftsinstitut, Universität Konstanz.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doan Quang Hung).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.