On The Social Dimension Of Time And Risk Preferences: An Experimental Study
Abstract"When explaining risk taking, intertemporal allocation, and distributing behavior, economists rely on risk, time, and other-regarding preferences but offer no guidance on how these three crucial aspects are interrelated. We report on an experiment exploring such interrelation. For this sake, we compare evaluations of several prospects, each of which allocates certain or risky and immediate or delayed payoffs to the actor and to another participant. We find that individuals are self-oriented as to social allocation of risk and delay and other-regarding with respect to expected payoffs". ("JEL" C91, D63, D81) Copyright (c) 2007 Western Economic Association International.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Economic Association International in its journal Economic Inquiry.
Volume (Year): 46 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (04)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 18830 Brookhurst Street, Suite 304, Fountain Valley, CA 92708 USA
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0095-2583
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- M. Vittoria Levati & Werner Güth & Matteo Ploner, 2005. "On the social dimension of time and risk preferences: An experimental study," Papers on Strategic Interaction 2005-26, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- C91 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Design of Experiments - - - Laboratory, Individual Behavior
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Samuelson, William & Zeckhauser, Richard, 1988. " Status Quo Bias in Decision Making," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 7-59, March.
- Geoffrey Brennan & Werner Güth & Luis G. Gonzalez & M. Vittoria Levati, 2005.
"Attitudes toward Private and Collective Risks in Individual and Strategic Choice Situations,"
Papers on Strategic Interaction
2005-22, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- Brennan, Geoffrey & González, Luis G. & Güth, Werner & Levati, M. Vittoria, 2008. "Attitudes toward private and collective risk in individual and strategic choice situations," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 253-262, July.
- Axel Ockenfels & Gary E. Bolton, 2000. "ERC: A Theory of Equity, Reciprocity, and Competition," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(1), pages 166-193, March.
- Kirchsteiger, Georg, 1994.
"The role of envy in ultimatum games,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 373-389, December.
- James Andreoni, 2001. "Giving According to GARP," Theory workshop papers 339, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Fehr, Ernst & Schmidt, Klaus M., 1998.
"A Theory of Fairness, Competition and Cooperation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1812, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ernst Fehr & Klaus M. Schmidt, 1999. "A Theory Of Fairness, Competition, And Cooperation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(3), pages 817-868, August.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1992. " Advances in Prospect Theory: Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 297-323, October.
- Gary Charness & Matthew Rabin, 2003.
"Understanding Social Preferences with Simple Tests,"
General Economics and Teaching
- Gary Charness & Matthew Rabin, 2002. "Understanding Social Preferences With Simple Tests," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 117(3), pages 817-869, August.
- Charness, Gary B & Rabin, Matthew, 2001. "Understanding Social Preferences With Simple Tests," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt0dc3k4m5, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Charness, Gary & Rabin, Matthew, 2001. "Understanding Social Preferences with Simple Tests," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt4qz9k8vg, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Charness, Gary & Rabin, Matthew, 2002. "Understanding Social Preferences with Simple Tests," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt3d04q5sm, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Brennan, Geoffrey, 1973. "Pareto desirable redistribution: the case of malice and envy," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 173-183, April.
- Franziska Brecht & Oliver Günther & Werner Güth & Ksenia Koroleva, 2011. "An experimental analysis of bounded rationality: Applying insights from behavioral economics to information systems," Jena Economic Research Papers 2011-065, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Diemo Urbig & Utz Weitzel & Stephanie Rosenkranz & Arjen van Witteloostuijn, 2011.
"Exploiting opportunities at all cost? Entrepreneurial intent and externalities,"
11-05, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Urbig, Diemo & Weitzel, Utz & Rosenkranz, Stephanie & Witteloostuijn, Arjen van, 2012. "Exploiting opportunities at all cost? Entrepreneurial intent and externalities," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 379-393.
- Brice Magdalou & Dimitri Dubois & Phu Nguyen-Van, 2009.
"Risk and Inequality Aversion in Social Dilemmas,"
09-02, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Mar 2009.
- Matteo Ploner, 2007. "Personal Autonomy in Trust-Based Interactions. An Experimental Analysis," CEEL Working Papers 0701, Cognitive and Experimental Economics Laboratory, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Werner Gueth & M. Vittoria Levati & Matteo Ploner, 2007.
"Let Me See You! A Video Experiment on the Social Dimension of Risk Preferences,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2007-005, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Werner Güth & M. Vittoria Levati & Matteo Ploner, 2011. "Let Me See You! A Video Experiment on the Social Dimension of Risk Preferences," Czech Economic Review, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, vol. 5(2), pages 211-225, August.
- Vitezslav Babicky & Andreas Ortmann & Silvester Van Koten, 2010.
"Fairness in Risky Environments: Theory and Evidence,"
CERGE-EI Working Papers
wp419, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Silvester Van Koten & Andreas Ortmann & Vitezslav Babicky, 2013. "Fairness in Risky Environments: Theory and Evidence," Games, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 4(2), pages 208-242, May.
- Dominique Cappelletti & Werner Güth & Matteo Ploner, 2011. "Unravelling conditional cooperation - Reciprocity, inequity aversion, and anchoring in public goods provision," Jena Economic Research Papers 2011-047, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Siegfried Berninghaus & Sven Fischer & Werner Güth, 2006. "Social Networks and Employment - An Experimental Analysis," Papers on Strategic Interaction 2006-31, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- Weitzel, Utz & Urbig, Diemo & Desai, Sameeksha & Sanders, Mark & Acs, Zoltan, 2010. "The good, the bad, and the talented: Entrepreneurial talent and selfish behavior," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 76(1), pages 64-81, October.
- Winschel, Evguenia & Zahn, Philipp, 2012. "Effciency Concern under Asymmetric Information," Working Papers 13-07, University of Mannheim, Department of Economics.
- Jona Linde & Joep Sonnemans, 2012. "Social Preferences in Private Decisions," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 12-003/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Alexia Gaudeul, 2013. "Social preferences under uncertainty," Jena Economic Research Papers 2013-024, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.