Age-structured optimal control in population economics
AbstractThis paper brings both intertemporal and age-dependent features to a theory of population policy at the macro-level. A Lotkatype renewal model of population dynamics is combined with a Solow/Ramsey economy. By using a new maximum principle for distributed parameter control we derive meaningful qualitative results for the optimal migration path and the optimal saving rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany in its series MPIDR Working Papers with number WP-2002-045.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.demogr.mpg.de/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J1 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics
- Z0 - Other Special Topics - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David M. Cutler & James M. Poterba & Louise M. Sheiner & Lawrence H. Summers, 1990.
"An Aging Society: Opportunity or Challenge?,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 21(1), pages 1-74.
- Matthew Higgins & Jeffrey G. Williamson, 1996. "Asian Demography and Foreign Capital Dependence," NBER Working Papers 5560, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Guest, Ross S & McDonald, Ian M, 2001. "Ageing, Optimal National Saving and Future Living Standards in Australia," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 77(237), pages 117-34, June.
- Arthur, W Brian & McNicoll, Geoffrey, 1977. "Optimal Time Paths with Age-Dependence: A Theory of Population Policy," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 111-23, February.
- Lindh, Thomas, 2000. "Productivity slowdown due to scarcity of capital to scrap in a putty-clay model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 69(2), pages 225-233, November.
- Axel Börsch-Supan, 2002. "International Comparison of Household Savings Behaviour: The German Savings Puzzle," MEA discussion paper series 02006, Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy.
- repec:fth:harver:1490 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cardoso, Ana Rute & Guimaraes, Paulo & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2009.
"Comparing the Early Research Performance of PhD Graduates in Labour Economics in Europe and the USA,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7129, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ana Rute Cardoso & Paulo Guimarães & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2008. "Comparing the Early Research Performance of PhD Graduates in Labor Economics in Europe and the USA," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 850, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Ana Rute Cardoso & Paulo Guimaraes & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2008. "Comparing the Early Research Performance of PhD Graduates in Labor Economics in Europe and the USA," Working Papers 368, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Ana Rute Cardoso & Paulo Guimarães & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2008. "Comparing the Early Research Performance of PhD Graduates in Labor Economics in Europe and the USA," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 760.08, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Cardoso, Ana Rute & Guimaraes, Paulo & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2008. "Comparing the Early Research Performance of PhD Graduates in Labor Economics in Europe and the USA," IZA Discussion Papers 3898, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Angels Xabadia & Renan U. Goetz, 2008.
"The Optimal Selective Logging Regime and the Faustmann Formula,"
353, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Xabadia, Angels & Goetz, Renan U., 2010. "The optimal selective logging regime and the Faustmann formula," Journal of Forest Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 63-82, January.
- Fabbri, Giorgio & Gozzi, Fausto & Swiech, Andrzej, 2007. "Verification theorem and construction of epsilon-optimal controls for control of abstract evolution equations," MPRA Paper 3547, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Wilhelm).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.