An ADF Coefficient Test for a Unit Root in ARMA Models of Unknown Order with Empirical Applications to the U.S. Economy
AbstractThis paper proposes an ADF coefficient test for detecting the presence of a unit root in ARMA models of unknown order. Our approach is fully parametric. When the time series has an unknown deterministic trend, we propose a modified version of the ADF coefficient test based on quasi-differencing in the construction of the detrending regression as in Elliot, Rothenberg and Stock (1996). The limit distributions of these test statistics are derived. Empirical applications of these tests for common macroeconomic time series in the US economy are reported and compared with the usual ADF t-test.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University in its series Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers with number 1161.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: Sep 1997
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Econometrics Journal (1988), 1(2): 27-43
Note: CFP 1105.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA
Other versions of this item:
- Zhije Xiao & Peter C.B. Phillips, 1998. "An ADF coefficient test for a unit root in ARMA models of unknown order with empirical applications to the US economy," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 1(RegularPa), pages 27-43.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1995. "Unit Root Tests," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1104, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Chin Chin Lee, 1996. "Efficiency Gains from Quasi-Differencing Under Nonstationarity," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1134, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Perron, P., 1986.
"Trends and Random Walks in Macroeconomic Time Series: Further Evidence From a New Approach,"
Cahiers de recherche
8650, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Perron, Pierre, 1988. "Trends and random walks in macroeconomic time series : Further evidence from a new approach," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 297-332.
- Hall, Robert E, 1978. "Stochastic Implications of the Life Cycle-Permanent Income Hypothesis: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(6), pages 971-87, December.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Peter C. Schotman & Herman K. van Dijk, 1991.
"On Bayesian routes to unit roots,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
43, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Eugene Canjels & Mark W. Watson, 1994.
"Estimating deterministic trends in the presence of serially correlated errors,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
94-19, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Eugene Canjels & Mark W. Watson, 1997. "Estimating Deterministic Trends In The Presence Of Serially Correlated Errors," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 184-200, May.
- Eugene Canjels & Mark W. Watson, 1994. "Estimating Deterministic Trends in the Presence of Serially Correlated Errors," NBER Technical Working Papers 0165, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression,"
Cahiers de recherche
8633, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- DeJong, David N, et al, 1992. "Integration versus Trend Stationarity in Time Series," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 423-33, March.
- Elliott, Graham & Rothenberg, Thomas J & Stock, James H, 1996.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 813-36, July.
- Tom Doan, . "ERSTEST: RATS procedure to perform Elliott-Rothenberg-Stock unit root tests," Statistical Software Components RTS00066, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "GLSDETREND: RATS procedure to perform local to unity GLS detrending," Statistical Software Components RTS00077, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992. "Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root," NBER Technical Working Papers 0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Schwert, G William, 1989.
"Tests for Unit Roots: A Monte Carlo Investigation,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 7(2), pages 147-59, April.
- DeJong, David N & Whiteman, Charles H, 1991. "The Temporal Stability of Dividends and Stock Prices: Evidence from the Likelihood Function," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(3), pages 600-617, June.
- DeJong, David N. & Nankervis, John C. & Savin, N. E. & Whiteman, Charles H., 1992. "The power problems of unit root test in time series with autoregressive errors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 323-343.
- John M. Roberts & Norman J. Morin, 1999. "Is hysteresis important for U.S. unemployment?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1999-56, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ka Ming Cheng & Nazif Durmaz & Hyeongwoo Kim & Michael Stern, 2011.
"Hysteresis vs. Natural Rate of US Unemployment,"
Auburn Economics Working Paper Series
auwp2011-01, Department of Economics, Auburn University.
- George, Halkos & Ilias, Kevork, 2005.
"Το Υπόδειγμα Τυχαίου Περιπάτου Με Αυτοπαλίνδρομα Σφάλματα
[The random walk model with autoregressive errors]," MPRA Paper 33312, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pesavento, Elena, 2000.
"Analytical Evaluation of the Power of Tests for the Absence of Cointegration,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt4cq4773c, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Pesavento, Elena, 2004. "Analytical evaluation of the power of tests for the absence of cointegration," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 122(2), pages 349-384, October.
- David I. Harvey & Stephen J. Leybourne & A. M. Robert Taylor, 2007.
"Unit root testing in practice: dealing with uncertainty over the trend and initial condition,"
07/03, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Harvey, David I. & Leybourne, Stephen J. & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2009. "Unit Root Testing In Practice: Dealing With Uncertainty Over The Trend And Initial Condition," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(03), pages 587-636, June.
- Phillips, Peter C.B., 2010.
"Bootstrapping I(1) data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 158(2), pages 280-284, October.
- Stephan Smeekes, 2013.
"Detrending Bootstrap Unit Root Tests,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(8), pages 869-891, November.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1998.
"New Unit Root Asymptotics in the Presence of Deterministic Trends,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1196, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, Peter C. B., 2002. "New unit root asymptotics in the presence of deterministic trends," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 323-353, December.
- Giorgio Canarella & Stephen M. Miller & Stephen K. Pollard, 2013. "Unemployment Rate Hysteresis and the Great Recession: Exploring the Metropolitan Evidence," Working papers 2013-19, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- David I. Harvey, & Stephen J. Leybourne, & A. M. Robert Taylor, 2007. "Testing for a unit root when uncertain about the trend [Revised to become 07/03 above]," Discussion Papers 06/03, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Westerlund, Joakim, 2006. "Testing for Error Correction in Panel Data," Research Memorandum 056, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.