Unit Root Testing via the Continuous-Path Block Bootstrap
AbstractA new resampling procedure, the continuous-path block bootstrap, is proposed in the context of testing for integrated (unit root) time series. The continuous-path block bootstrap (CBB) is a nonparametric procedure that successfully generates unit root integrated pseudo time series retaining the important characteristics of the data, e.g., the dependence structure of the stationary process driving the random walk. As a consequence, the CBB can accurately capture the distribution of many unit root test statistics. Large sample theory for the new bootstrap methodology is developed and the asymptotic validity of CBB-based unit root testing is shown via a bootstrap functional limit theorem. Applications of the new procedure to least squares and Dickey-Fuller type test statistics of the unit root hypothesis are given. Finite-sample simulations confirm a good alpha-level accuracy and an increased power associated with CBB-based unit root testing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, UC San Diego in its series University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series with number qt9qb4r775.
Date of creation: 01 Mar 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 9500 Gilman Drive, La Jolla, CA 92093-0508
Phone: (858) 534-3383
Fax: (858) 534-7040
Web page: http://www.escholarship.org/repec/ucsdecon/
More information through EDIRC
Autocorrelation; hypothesis testing; integrated series; non-stationary series; random walk; resampling;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Schwert, G William, 2002.
"Tests for Unit Roots: A Monte Carlo Investigation,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 5-17, January.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- John Y. Campbell & Pierre Perron, 1991.
"Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know About Unit Roots,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1991, Volume 6, pages 141-220
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John & Perron, Pierre, 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know about Unit Roots," Scholarly Articles 3374863, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Campbell, J.Y. & Perron, P., 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomics should know about unit roots," Papers 360, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- John Y. Campbell & Pierre Perron, 1991. "Pitfalls and Opportunities: What Macroeconomists Should Know About Unit Roots," NBER Technical Working Papers 0100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- DeJong, David N. & Nankervis, John C. & Savin, N. E. & Whiteman, Charles H., 1992. "The power problems of unit root test in time series with autoregressive errors," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 323-343.
- Gabriel Bruneau & Kevin Moran, 2012.
"Exchange Rate Fluctuations and Labour Market Adjustments in Canadian Manufacturing Industries,"
Cahiers de recherche
- Gabriel Bruneau & Kevin Moran, 2012. "Exchange Rate Fluctuations and Labour Market Adjustments in Canadian Manufacturing Industries," CIRANO Working Papers 2012s-19, CIRANO.
- Franz C. Palm & Stephan Smeekes & Jean-Pierre Urbain, 2008.
"Bootstrap Unit-Root Tests: Comparison and Extensions,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(2), pages 371-401, 03.
- Palm, Franz C. & Smeekes, Stephan & Urbain, Jean-Pierre, 2006. "Bootstrap Unit Root Tests: Comparison and Extensions," Research Memorandum 015, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Peter C. B. Phillips, 2009.
"Bootstrapping I(1) Data,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1689, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Parker, Cameron & Paparoditis, Efstathios & Politis, Dimitris N., 2006. "Unit root testing via the stationary bootstrap," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 133(2), pages 601-638, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lisa Schiff).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.