Myopic and perfect foresight in the OLG model
AbstractWe compare the dynamics under myopic foresight and under perfect foresight in an overlapping generations model with capital accumulation and two-period lived individuals. When the rational dynamics are defined and the myopic dynamics are monotonic, the study of myopic foresight allows to characterize the dynamics under perfect foresight. The study of myopic dynamics also allows to obtain a condition of uniqueness of the steady state that bears only on the second order derivatives of the utility and production functions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES) in its series Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) with number 1999014.
Date of creation: 01 May 1999
Date of revision:
perfect foresight; myopic foresight; stability;
Other versions of this item:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- O41 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - One, Two, and Multisector Growth Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-02-10 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Galor, Oded & Ryder, Harl E., 1989. "Existence, uniqueness, and stability of equilibrium in an overlapping-generations model with productive capital," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 360-375, December.
- Groezen, B.J.A.M. van & Leers, T., 2000. "The Effects of Asymmetric Demographic Shocks with Perfect Capital Mobility," Discussion Paper 2000-88, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2010. "Economic growth and stability with public PAYG pensions and private intra-family old-age insurance," MPRA Paper 20727, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tikoudis, Ioannis & Sundberg, Marcus & Karlström, Anders, 2012. "The effects of transport infrastructure on regional economic development: A simulated spatial overlapping generations model with heterogenous skill," The Journal of Transport and Land Use, Center for Transportation Studies, University of Minnesota, vol. 5(2), pages 77-101.
- Chen, Hung-Ju & Li, Ming-Chia, 2008. "Productive public expenditures, expectation formations and nonlinear dynamics," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 109-126, July.
- Luciano Fanti & Luca Gori, 2008.
"PAYG pensions and economic cycles: exogenous versus endogenous fertility,"
2008/75, Dipartimento di Economia e Management (DEM), University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy.
- Luciano Fanti & Luca Gori, 2012. "PAYG Pensions and Economic Cycles Exogenous versus Endogenous Fertility," Public Finance Review, , vol. 40(2), pages 240-269, March.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2010.
"Public health spending, old-age productivity and economic growth: chaotic cycles under perfect foresight,"
21335, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2011. "Public health spending, old-age productivity and economic growth: Chaotic cycles under perfect foresight," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 78(1-2), pages 137-151, April.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2011. "Public health spending, old-age productivity and economic growth: Chaotic cycles under perfect foresight," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 137-151.
- Li, Jinlu & Lin, Shuanglin, 2008. "Existence and uniqueness of steady-state equilibrium in a two-sector overlapping generations model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 255-275, July.
- Andreas Wagener, 2003. "Equilibrium dynamics with different types of pay-as-you-go pension schemes," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 8(6), pages 1-12.
- Chen, Hung-Ju & Li, Ming-Chia & Lin, Yung-Ju, 2008. "Chaotic dynamics in an overlapping generations model with myopic and adaptive expectations," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 48-56, July.
- Andreas Irmen, 2009.
"Population Aging and the Direction of Technical Change,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2888, CESifo Group Munich.
- Irmen, Andreas, 2009. "Population Aging and the Direction of Technical Change," Working Papers 0493, University of Heidelberg, Department of Economics.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2010.
"Fertility-related pensions and cyclical instability,"
20221, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luciano Fanti & Luca Gori, 2013. "Fertility-related pensions and cyclical instability," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 1209-1232, July.
- Fabien Prieur, 2009.
"The environmental Kuznets curve in a world of irreversibility,"
Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 57-90, July.
- Fabien Prieur, 2007. "The Environmental Kuznets Curve in a World of Irreversibility," Working Papers 2007.57, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2010. "PAYG pensions and economic cycles," MPRA Paper 19984, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wolfgang Kuhle, 2012. "The Dynamics of Utility in the Neoclassical OLG Model," Working Paper Series of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods 2012_22, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods.
- Fanti, Luciano & Gori, Luca, 2010. "Complex equilibrium dynamics in a simple OLG model of neoclassical growth with endogenous retirement age and public pensions," MPRA Paper 23694, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Thibault, Emmanuel, 2004. "The power of love," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 183-189, August.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:8:y:2003:i:6:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Luciano Fanti & Luca Gori, 2012. "Public Expenditure on Health and Private Old-Age Insurance in an OLG Growth Model with Endogenous Fertility: Chaotic Dynamics Under Perfect Foresight," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 40(4), pages 333-353, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anne DAVISTER-LOGIST).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.