Efficient partnership dissolution under buy-sell clauses
AbstractWhen a partnership comes to an end, partners have to determine the terms of the dissolution. A well known way to do so is by enforcing a buy-sell clause. Under its rules one party offers a price for the partnership and the other party chooses whether to sell her share or buy her partner´s share at this price. It is well known that in a model with private valuations this dissolution rule may generate inefficient allocations. However, we show that if partners negotiate for the advantage of being chooser, then buy-sell clauses result in an ex-post efficient outcome. We argue that this endogenous selection of the proposer is consistent with how buysell clauses are drafted in practice. For an example with interdependent valuations, we further show that the buy-sell clause can perform better than an auction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía in its series Economics Working Papers with number we072816.
Date of creation: Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- María-Angeles de Frutos & Thomas Kittsteiner, 2008. "Efficient partnership dissolution under buy-sell clauses," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 39(1), pages 184-198.
- Kittsteiner, T. & De Frutos & M-A, 2004. "Efficient Partnership Dissolution under Buy/Sell Clauses," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings, Econometric Society 314, Econometric Society.
- Maria Angeles de Frutos & Thomas Kittsteiner, 2004. "Efficient partnership dissolution under buy/sell clauses," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers, University of Bonn, Germany bgse1_2004, University of Bonn, Germany, revised Jul 2004.
- D44 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Auctions
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reinhilde Veugelers & Katrien Kesteloot, 1996. "Bargained shares in joint ventures among asymmetric partners: Is the matthew effect catalyzing?," Journal of Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 64(1), pages 23-51, February.
- Jeremy Bulow & Ming Huang & Paul Klemperer, 1999.
"Toeholds and Takeovers,"
Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(3), pages 427-454, June.
- Bulow, Jeremy I & Huang, Ming & Klemperer, Paul, 1996. "Toeholds and Takeovers," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 1486, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeremy Bulow & Ming Huang & Paul Klemperer, 1999. "Toeholds and Takeovers," Finance, EconWPA 9903005, EconWPA.
- Jeremy Bulow & Ming Huang & Paul Klemperer, 1996. "Toeholds and Takeovers," Finance, EconWPA 9608001, EconWPA.
- Paul Klemperer & Jeremy Bulow, 1998. "Toeholds and Takeovers," Economics Series Working Papers 1998-W04, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Myerson, Roger B. & Satterthwaite, Mark A., 1983.
"Efficient mechanisms for bilateral trading,"
Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 265-281, April.
- Roger B. Myerson & Mark A. Satterthwaite, 1981. "Efficient Mechanisms for Bilateral Trading," Discussion Papers, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science 469S, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Kittsteiner, Thomas, 2003.
"Partnerships and double auctions with interdependent valuations,"
Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 54-76, July.
- Kittsteiner, Thomas, 2000. "Partnerships and Double Auctions with Interdependent Valuations," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, UniversitÃ¤t Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim 01-15, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Engelbrecht-Wiggans Richard, 1994. "Auctions with Price-Proportional Benefits to Bidders," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 339-346, May.
- HEGE, Ulrich & HAUSWALD, Robert, 2002.
"Ownership and control in joint ventures: theory and evidence,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
750, HEC Paris.
- Hauswald, Robert & Hege, Ulrich, 2003. "Ownership and Control in Joint Ventures: Theory and Evidence," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 4056, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Benny Moldovanu, 2002. "How to Dissolve a Partnership," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 158(1), pages 66-, March.
- McAfee, R Preston & McMillan, John, 1987. "Auctions and Bidding," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 25(2), pages 699-738, June.
- de Frutos, M. Angeles, 2000. "Asymmetric Price-Benefits Auctions," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 48-71, October.
- Preston McAfee, R., 1992. "Amicable divorce: Dissolving a partnership with simple mechanisms," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 266-293, April.
- Ettinger, David, 2008. "Auctions and shareholdings," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine, Paris Dauphine University 123456789/5431, Paris Dauphine University.
- Kittsteiner, Thomas & Ockenfels, Axel & Trhal, Nadja, 2012. "Partnership dissolution mechanisms in the laboratory," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 394-396.
- Stefano Comino & Antonio Nicolò & Piero Tedeschi, 2005.
"Termination Clauses in Partnerships,"
Industrial Organization, EconWPA
- Stefano Comino & Antonio Nicolò & Piero Tedeschi, 2006. "Termination Clauses in Partnerships," Working Papers, UniversitÃ degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca, Dipartimento di Statistica 20060505, Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca, Dipartimento di Statistica.
- Landeo, Claudia & Spier, Kathryn, 2013.
"Shotgun Mechanisms for Common-Value Partnerships: The Unassigned-Offeror Problem,"
2013-10, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Landeo, Claudia M. & Spier, Kathryn E., 2013. "Shotgun mechanisms for common-value partnerships: The unassigned-offeror problem," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 121(3), pages 390-394.
- Ludwig Ensthaler & Thomas Giebe & Jianpei Li, 2014. "Speculative partnership dissolution with auctions," Review of Economic Design, Springer, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 127-150, June.
- Stefano Galavotti & Nozomu Muto & Daisuke Oyama, 2011. "On efficient partnership dissolution under ex post individual rationality," Economic Theory, Springer, Springer, vol. 48(1), pages 87-123, September.
- Li, Jianpei, 2009. "Partnership Dissolution and Proprietary Information," MPRA Paper 12505, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jianpei Li & Elmar G. Wolfstetter, 2004.
"Partnership Dissolution, Complementarity, and Investment Incentives,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1325, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jianpei Li & Elmar Wolfstetter, 2010. "Partnership dissolution, complementarity, and investment incentives," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 62(3), pages 529-552, July.
- Wasser, Cédric, 2013. "Bilateral k+1-price auctions with asymmetric shares and values," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 82(C), pages 350-368.
- John Turner, 2013. "Dissolving (in)effective partnerships," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 321-335, July.
- Richard R. W. Brooks & Claudia M. Landeo & Kathryn E. Spier, 2010.
"Trigger happy or gun shy? Dissolving common-value partnerships with Texas shootouts,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 41(4), pages 649-673.
- Brooks, Richard & Landeo, Claudia & Spier, Kathryn, 2009. "Trigger Happy or Gun Shy? Dissolving Common-Value Partnerships with Texas Shootouts," Working Papers 2009-1, University of Alberta, Department of Economics, revised 01 Jul 2013.
- David Ettinger, 2008. "Auctions and shareholdings," Post-Print, HAL hal-00701303, HAL.
- Jianpei Li & Yi Xue & Weixing Wu, 2013. "Partnership dissolution and proprietary information," Social Choice and Welfare, Springer, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 495-527, February.
- Thomas F. Hellmann & Veikko Thiele, 2012. "A Theory of the Firm based on Partner Displacement," NBER Working Papers 18495, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shotgun clause in Wikipedia English ne '')
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: () The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.