Dissolving (in)effective partnerships
AbstractThis paper studies the problem of partnership dissolution in the context of asymmetric information. Past work shows that the initial share allocation, interdependence of partners’ valuations, and asymmetric control all affect the possibility of efficient dissolution. In this paper, I show, in a novel class of “cooperative” partnerships characterized by ex ante interdependence of valuations, that effectiveness is significantly more important than the initial share allocation. Intuitively, as the effectiveness of cooperation between partners (and thus partnership value) increases, the gains from dissolving decrease but the informational rents remain constant, so efficient dissolution is more difficult to achieve. For sufficiently high effectiveness, efficient dissolution is impossible for any initial share allocation. For sufficiently low effectiveness, however, efficient dissolution is possible for all initial share allocations. The possibility of efficient bargaining depends on the initial share allocation only for moderately effective partnerships. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2013
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Social Choice and Welfare.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00355/index.htm
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fieseler, Karsten & Kittsteiner, Thomas & Moldovanu, Benny, 2003.
"Partnerships, lemons, and efficient trade,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 113(2), pages 223-234, December.
- Fieseler, Karsten & Kittsteiner, Thomas & Moldovanu, Benny, 1999. "Partnerships, Lemons and Efficient Trade," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 99-71, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Moldovanu, Benny & Fieseler, Karsten & Kittsteiner, Thomas, 1999. "Partnerships, Lemons and Efficient Trade," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 01-18, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Patrick Legros & Steven Matthews, 1993.
"Efficient and nearly efficient partnerships,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/7040, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Patrick Legros & Steven A. Matthews, 1992. "Efficient and Nearly Efficient Partnerships," Discussion Papers, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science 991R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Steven R. Williams, 1999. "A characterization of efficient, bayesian incentive compatible mechanisms," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 155-180.
- Makowski Louis & Mezzetti Claudio, 1994. "Bayesian and Weakly Robust First Best Mechanisms: Characterizations," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 500-519, December.
- Kittsteiner, T. & De Frutos & M-A, 2004.
"Efficient Partnership Dissolution under Buy/Sell Clauses,"
Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings, Econometric Society
314, Econometric Society.
- MarÃa-Angeles de Frutos & Thomas Kittsteiner, 2008. "Efficient partnership dissolution under buy-sell clauses," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 39(1), pages 184-198.
- MarÃa Angeles de Frutos & Thomas Kittsteiner, 2006. "Efficient partnership dissolution under buy-sell clauses," Economics Working Papers we072816, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de EconomÃa.
- Maria Angeles de Frutos & Thomas Kittsteiner, 2004. "Efficient partnership dissolution under buy/sell clauses," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers, University of Bonn, Germany bgse1_2004, University of Bonn, Germany, revised Jul 2004.
- Jianpei Li & Elmar Wolfstetter, 2010.
"Partnership dissolution, complementarity, and investment incentives,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 62(3), pages 529-552, July.
- Jianpei Li & Elmar G. Wolfstetter, 2004. "Partnership Dissolution, Complementarity, and Investment Incentives," CESifo Working Paper Series 1325, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ornelas, Emanuel & Turner, John L., 2007.
"Efficient dissolution of partnerships and the structure of control,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 187-199, July.
- John L. Turner & Emanuel Ornelas, 2004. "Efficient Dissolution of Partnerships and the Structure of Control," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 286, Econometric Society.
- Singh, Rajdeep, 1998.
"Takeover Bidding with Toeholds: The Case of the Owner's Curse,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 11(4), pages 679-704.
- Rajdeep Singh, 1995. "Takeover Bidding with Toeholds: The Case of the Owner's Curse," Finance, EconWPA 9503001, EconWPA.
- Richard R. W. Brooks & Claudia M. Landeo & Kathryn E. Spier, 2010.
"Trigger happy or gun shy? Dissolving common-value partnerships with Texas shootouts,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 41(4), pages 649-673.
- Brooks, Richard & Landeo, Claudia & Spier, Kathryn, 2009. "Trigger Happy or Gun Shy? Dissolving Common-Value Partnerships with Texas Shootouts," Working Papers 2009-1, University of Alberta, Department of Economics, revised 01 Jul 2013.
- Kittsteiner, Thomas, 2000.
"Partnerships and Double Auctions with Interdependent Valuations,"
Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications
01-15, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim;Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Kittsteiner, Thomas, 2003. "Partnerships and double auctions with interdependent valuations," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 54-76, July.
- Jacob K. Goeree & Emiel Maasland & Sander Onderstal & John L. Turner, 2005. "How (Not) to Raise Money," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 113(4), pages 897-926, August.
- Benny Moldovanu, 2002. "How to Dissolve a Partnership," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 158(1), pages 66-, March.
- Maxim Engers & Brian McManus, 2007. "Charity Auctions," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 48(3), pages 953-994, 08.
- Steven Tadelis & Jonathan Levin, 2004.
"Profit Sharing and the Role of Professional Partnerships,"
2004 Meeting Papers
156, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Jonathan Levin & Steven Tadelis, 2005. "Profit Sharing and the Role of Professional Partnerships," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 120(1), pages 131-171, January.
- Myerson, Roger B. & Satterthwaite, Mark A., 1983.
"Efficient mechanisms for bilateral trading,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 265-281, April.
- Roger B. Myerson & Mark A. Satterthwaite, 1981. "Efficient Mechanisms for Bilateral Trading," Discussion Papers, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science 469S, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Niko Matouschek, 2004. "Ex Post Inefficiencies in a Property Rights Theory of the Firm," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(1), pages 125-147, April.
- Ludwig Ensthaler & Thomas Giebe & Jianpei Li, 2014. "Speculative partnership dissolution with auctions," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 127-150, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.