Capital Flows in the Euro Area
AbstractWe investigate the behaviour of gross capital flows and net capital flows for euro area member countries. We highlight the extraordinary boom-bust cycles in both gross flows and net flows since 2003. We also show that the reversal in net capital flows during the crisis has been very costly in terms of macroeconomic and financial outcomes for the high-deficit countries. Finally, we describe the reforms that can improve macro-financial stability across the euro area.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 9493.
Date of creation: May 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
Other versions of this item:
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-09-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2013-09-24 (Central Banking)
- NEP-IFN-2013-09-24 (International Finance)
- NEP-MAC-2013-09-24 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2013-09-24 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-OPM-2013-09-24 (Open Economy Macroeconomic)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Philip R. Lane, 2013.
"Growth And Adjustment Challenges For The Euro Area,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 44(2), pages 273-295.
- Philip R. Lane, 2013. "Growth and Adjustment Challenge for the Euro Area," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp426, IIIS.
- Philip R. Lane, 2013. "Growth and Adjustment Challenge for the Euro Area," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp427, IIIS.
- Philip Lane & Peter McQuade, 2009.
"Domestic Credit Growth and International Capital Flows,"
The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series
- Lane, Philip R. & McQuade, Peter, 2013. "Domestic credit growth and international capital flows," Working Paper Series 1566, European Central Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.