(Un)conditional distribution of compensating variation in discrete choice models
AbstractFor a large class of additive random utility discrete choice models with income effects, we compute the probability distribution of the compensating variation. We show that the cumulative distribution function only depends on the choice probabilities. Our results are used to compute the distribution of equivalent variation. The moments of the compensating variation are a onedimensional integral of the choice probabilities. Using the expected compensating variation, we extend Shephard's Lemma to the probabilistic demand systems. Both conditional and unconditional (on the individual choice) distributions of compensating variation are considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE) in its series CORE Discussion Papers with number 2003100.
Date of creation: 00 Dec 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Voie du Roman Pays 34, 1348 Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium)
Fax: +32 10474304
Web page: http://www.uclouvain.be/core
More information through EDIRC
discrete choice models; income effect; compensating variation; equivalent variation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D11 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Theory
- D60 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- ANDERSON, Simon P. & DE PALMA, André & NESTEROV, Yurii, 1994.
"Oligopolistic Competition and the Optimal Provision of Products,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1994034, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Anderson, Simon P & de Palma, Andre & Nesterov, Yurii, 1995. "Oligopolistic Competition and the Optimal Provision of Products," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(6), pages 1281-1301, November.
- Anderson, S. P. & De Palma, A. & Nesterov, Y., . "Oligopolistic competition and the optimal provision of products," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1179, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-90, July.
- Yukihiro Kidokoro, 2007. "A Representative Consumer Framework for Discrete Choice Models with Endogenous Total Demand," GRIPS Discussion Papers 07-07, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies, revised Nov 2008.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alain GILLIS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.