Calculating the Cost of the Universal Service Obligation: The Need for a Global Approach
AbstractThe paper presents the basic approaches to calculate the cost of the USO and compares them with the requirements of the 3rd postal directive. We conclude that the profitability cost approach will lead to consistent estimations if it is applied in a global way. We illustrate our findings with an econometric estimation of the net costs of Swiss Post’s obligation to provide a nationwide post office network for postal and financial services. We finally illustrate that the financing mechanism in place must be considered as well as there are important drawbacks on the cost of the USO.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Swiss Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0010.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: May 2008
Date of revision: Jul 2008
Publication status: Published in Progress in the Competitive Agenda in the Postal and Delivery Sector, edited by Crew, M A; Kleindorfer, P R., Cheltenham, 113-127
USO; net costs; cost of the universal service obligation; financing; Post Office Network; Global Approach;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- M38 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Government Policy and Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Helmut M. Dietl & Urs Trinkner & Reto Bleisch, 2004. "Liberalization and Regulation of the Swiss Letter Market," Working Papers 0001, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2005.
- C. Jaag & U. Trinkner, 2009.
"Tendering Universal Service Obligations in Liberalized Network Industries,"
Competition and Regulation in Network Industries,
Intersentia, vol. 10(4), pages 313-333, December.
- Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2008. "Tendering Universal Service Obligations in Liberalized Network Industries," Working Papers 0013, Swiss Economics, revised Jan 2009.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Urs Trinkner, 2006. "Economies of scale, density and scope in Swiss Post’s Mail Delivery," Working Papers 0005, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2006.
- Joan Calzada & Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2009. "Universal Service Auctions in Liberalized Postal Markets," Working Papers 0014, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2009.
- Christian Jaag, 2007.
"Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 143(III), pages 261-282, September.
- Jaag, Christian, 2007. "Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations," MPRA Paper 6121, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian Jaag, 2007. "Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations," Working Papers 0006, Swiss Economics.
- Massimo Filippini & Marika Zola, 2005. "Economies of scale and cost efficiency in the postal services: empirical evidence from Switzerland," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 12(7), pages 437-441.
- Martin Buser & Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2007. "Economics of Post Office Networks: Strategic Issues and the Impact on Mail Demand," Working Papers 0008, Swiss Economics, revised Dec 2007.
- Bakhtieva, Dilyara & Kiljański, Kamil, 2012. "Universal Service Obligation and Loyalty Effects: An Agent-Based Modelling Approach," MPRA Paper 48549, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Helmut M. Dietl & Urs Trinkner, 2008. "Developing Universal Postal Services in Latin America – an Economic Perspective," Working Papers 0012, Swiss Economics, revised Nov 2008.
- Christian Jaag, 2010. "Compensating the Net Cost of Universal Postal Services," Working Papers 0017, Swiss Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Jaag).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.