Developing Universal Postal Services in Latin America – an Economic Perspective
AbstractThe paper first analyzes if there is a need to develop universal postal services in developing countries. We conclude that postal services serve vital functions in economies now and for the foreseeable future. We then discuss regulatory remedies that will foster the evolution of universal postal services in developing countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Swiss Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0012.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2008
Date of revision: Nov 2008
Publication status: Published as “El desarrollo de servicios postales universales en América Latina: una perspectiva económica" in Más allá del mercado. Las políticas de servicio universal en América Latina, edited by Calzada, J., A. Costas and J. Jordana. Barcelona, Fundación CIDOB, 377-406
Developing Countries; Universal Postal Services;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Jaag, 2007.
"Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 143(III), pages 261-282, September.
- Jaag, Christian, 2007. "Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations," MPRA Paper 6121, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian Jaag, 2007. "Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations," Working Papers 0006, Swiss Economics.
- repec:rne:rneart:v:7:y:2008:i:2:p:231-246 is not listed on IDEAS
- Helmut M. Dietl & Andreas Grütter & Martin Lutzenberger & Catia Felisberto & Matthias Finger, 2008. "The Effect of Entry Regulation on Process Innovation in the Swiss Mail Industry," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 144(I), pages 37-55, March.
- Calzada, Joan, 2009. "Universal service obligations in the postal sector: The relationship between quality and coverage," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 10-20, February.
- Boldron, François & Cremer, Helmuth & De Donder, Philippe & Joram, Denis & Roy, Bernard, 2007. "Social costs and benefits of the universal service obligation in the postal market," IDEI Working Papers 456, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Joan Calzada Aymerich, 2004.
"Worksharing and access discounts in the postal sector with asymmetrics information,"
Working Papers in Economics
112, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- Joan Calzada, 2006. "Worksharing and Access Discounts in the Postal Sector with Asymmetric Information," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 69-102, 01.
- Christian Jaag & Martin Koller & Urs Trinkner, 2008. "Calculating the Cost of the Universal Service Obligation: The Need for a Global Approach," Working Papers 0010, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2008.
- Dietl Helmut & Grütter Andreas & Lutzenberger Martin, 2008. "Deregulation of Letter Markets and its Impact on Process and Product Innovation," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-16, June.
- Catia Felisberto & Matthias Finger & Beat Friedli & Daniel Kraehenbuehl & Urs Trinkner, 2005. "Pricing the last mile in the postal sector," Working Papers 0003, Swiss Economics, revised Dec 2005.
- C. Jaag & U. Trinkner, 2009.
"Tendering Universal Service Obligations in Liberalized Network Industries,"
Competition and Regulation in Network Industries,
Intersentia, vol. 10(4), pages 313-333, December.
- Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2008. "Tendering Universal Service Obligations in Liberalized Network Industries," Working Papers 0013, Swiss Economics, revised Jan 2009.
- Martin Buser & Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2007. "Economics of Post Office Networks: Strategic Issues and the Impact on Mail Demand," Working Papers 0008, Swiss Economics, revised Dec 2007.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Urs Trinkner, 2006. "Economies of scale, density and scope in Swiss Post’s Mail Delivery," Working Papers 0005, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2006.
- Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2007. "Pricing in competitive two-sided mail markets," Working Papers 0007, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2007.
- Helmut M. Dietl & Urs Trinkner & Reto Bleisch, 2004. "Liberalization and Regulation of the Swiss Letter Market," Working Papers 0001, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2005.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Jaag).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.