Liberalization and Regulation of the Swiss Letter Market
AbstractThe paper analyzes the impact of different regulatory models on competition and welfare in the Swiss letter market. We conclude that the US system worksharing yields the best results.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Swiss Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0001.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: May 2004
Date of revision: Jul 2005
Publication status: Published in Regulatory and Economic Challenges in the Postal and Delivery Sector, edited by M. A. Crew and P. R. Kleindorfer, Boston, MA: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 53–72
Regulation; Liberalization; Universal Service; Worksharing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
- L87 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Postal and Delivery Services
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-29 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Helmut M. Dietl & Peter Waller, 2002. "Competing With Mr. Postman: Business Strategies, Industry Structure, And Competitive Prices In Liberalized Letter Markets," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 54(2), pages 148-170, April.
- Helmut M. Dietl & Andreas Grütter & Martin Lutzenberger & Catia Felisberto & Matthias Finger, 2008. "The Effect of Entry Regulation on Process Innovation in the Swiss Mail Industry," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 144(I), pages 37-55, March.
- Christian Jaag, 2007.
"Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 143(III), pages 261-282, September.
- Jaag, Christian, 2007. "Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations," MPRA Paper 6121, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Christian Jaag, 2007. "Liberalization of the Swiss Letter Market and the Viability of Universal Service Obligations," Working Papers 0006, Swiss Economics.
- Andreas Haller & Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2012. "Termination Charges in the International Parcel Market," Working Papers 0033, Swiss Economics.
- Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2011. "The interaction between universal service costing and financing in the postal sector: a calibrated approach," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 89-110, February.
- Christian Jaag & Martin Koller & Urs Trinkner, 2008. "Calculating the Cost of the Universal Service Obligation: The Need for a Global Approach," Working Papers 0010, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2008.
- Christian Jaag & Helmut Dietl & Urs Trinkner & Oliver Fürst, 2011. "Defending Mail Markets against New Entrants: An Application of the Defender Model," Working Papers 0027, Swiss Economics.
- Helmut M. Dietl & Urs Trinkner, 2008. "Developing Universal Postal Services in Latin America – an Economic Perspective," Working Papers 0012, Swiss Economics, revised Nov 2008.
- Martin Buser & Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2007. "Economics of Post Office Networks: Strategic Issues and the Impact on Mail Demand," Working Papers 0008, Swiss Economics, revised Dec 2007.
- Andreas Haller & Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2011. "Termination Charges in the International Parcel Market: Competition and Regulation," Working Papers 0028, Swiss Economics.
- Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2007. "Pricing in competitive two-sided mail markets," Working Papers 0007, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2007.
- Helmut Dietl & Christian Jaag & Markus Lang & Urs Trinkner, 2010.
"Competition and Welfare Effects of VAT Exemptions,"
0024, Swiss Economics, revised Oct 2010.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Jaag).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.