Cost Efficiency Measurement in Postal Delivery Networks
AbstractThe purpose of this study is to analyze the level of cost efficiency of Swiss Post's postal delivery units to enable policy makers' as well as Swiss Post to decide on the reactions to market changes. In particular, we use different panel data models to assess cost efficiency in these units to account for unobserved heterogeneity. The results from applying Mundlak's formulation to the Pooled stochastic frontier model provides evidence that this model is not affected by a heterogeneity bias and that the cost efficiency values lie within a lower and upper bound of the other recent and standard econometric frontier models. Overall, the analysis shows that assumptions on unobserved heterogeneity are crucial and that results of econometric cost efficiency measurement models have to be interpreted with corresponding caution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by USI Università della Svizzera italiana in its series Quaderni della facoltà di Scienze economiche dell'Università di Lugano with number 1206.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: https://www.bul.sbu.usi.ch
cost efficiency; stochastic frontier models; unobserved heterogeneity; Mundlak; postal delivery network;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- H42 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Publicly Provided Private Goods
- L87 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Postal and Delivery Services
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2012-10-06 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-NET-2012-10-06 (Network Economics)
- NEP-REG-2012-10-06 (Regulation)
- NEP-URE-2012-10-06 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey M Wooldridge, 2010.
"Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 2, volume 1, number 0262232588, January.
- Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2001. "Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232197, January.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2008.
"An Analysis of Cost-Efficiency in Swiss Multi-utilities,"
CEPE Working paper series
08-60, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Farsi, Mehdi & Filippini, Massimo, 2009. "An analysis of cost efficiency in Swiss multi-utilities," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 306-315, March.
- Johnes, Geraint & Johnes, Jill, 2009.
"Higher education institutions' costs and efficiency: Taking the decomposition a further step,"
Economics of Education Review,
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 107-113, February.
- G Johnes & Jill Johnes, 2005. "Higher education institutions' costs and efficiency: taking the decomposition a further step," Working Papers 574007, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Martin Buser & Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2007. "Economics of Post Office Networks: Strategic Issues and the Impact on Mail Demand," Working Papers 0008, Swiss Economics, revised Dec 2007.
- Waldman, Donald M., 1982. "A stationary point for the stochastic frontier likelihood," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 275-279, February.
- Mundlak, Yair, 1978. "On the Pooling of Time Series and Cross Section Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 69-85, January.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & William Greene, 2004.
"Efficiency Measurement in Network Industries: Application to the Swiss Railway Companies,"
CEPE Working paper series
04-32, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & William Greene, 2005. "Efficiency Measurement in Network Industries: Application to the Swiss Railway Companies," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 69-90, 07.
- Massimo Filippini & Marika Zola, 2005. "Economies of scale and cost efficiency in the postal services: empirical evidence from Switzerland," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(7), pages 437-441.
- Pitt, Mark M. & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1981. "The measurement and sources of technical inefficiency in the Indonesian weaving industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-64, August.
- Massimo FILIPPINI & Martin KOLLER, 2012. "Economies Of Scale And Scope In Postal Outlets Under Consideration Of Unobserved Heterogeneity," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 83(4), pages 435-443, December.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Christensen, Laurits R & Jorgenson, Dale W & Lau, Lawrence J, 1973. "Transcendental Logarithmic Production Frontiers," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 55(1), pages 28-45, February.
- Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini & Michael Kuenzle, 2005. "Unobserved heterogeneity in stochastic cost frontier models: an application to Swiss nursing homes," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(18), pages 2127-2141.
- Mehdi Farsi & Aurelio Fetz & Massimo Filippini, 2008. "Economies of Scale and Scope in Multi-Utilities," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 123-144.
- Astrid Cullmann & Mehdi Farsi & Massimo Filippini, 2012. "Unobserved Heterogeneity and Efficiency Measurement in Public Transport," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, London School of Economics and University of Bath, vol. 46(1), pages 51-66, January.
- Perelman, S. & Pestieau, J., .
"A comparative performance study of postal services: a productive efficiency approach,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1083, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Sergio PERELMAN & Pierre PESTIEAU, 1994. "A Comparative Performance Study of Postal Services: A Productive Efficiency Approach," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 33, pages 187-202.
- Greene, William, 2005. "Reconsidering heterogeneity in panel data estimators of the stochastic frontier model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(2), pages 269-303, June.
- Andrei Shleifer, 1985. "A Theory of Yardstick Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(3), pages 319-327, Autumn.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alessio Tutino).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.