Compensating the Net Cost of Universal Postal Services
AbstractThis paper analyzes the net cost of universal service obligations in the postal sector after full liberalization and the potential burden they represent for the universal service provider. It considers various interpretations of what an ‚unfair burden. might be and discusses the competitive impact of corresponding compensation scenarios by means of a stylized theoretical model with endogenous entry and coverage decisions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Swiss Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0017.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: May 2010
Date of revision:
Universal service obligation; Unfair burden; Postal sector;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H42 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Publicly Provided Private Goods
- L51 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - Economics of Regulation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-04 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Jaag, 2011.
"Entry Deterrence and the Calculation of the Net Cost of Universal Service Obligations,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 10(1), pages 4.
- Christian Jaag, 2010. "Entry Deterrence and the Calculation of the Net Cost of Universal Service Obligations," Working Papers 0020, Swiss Economics.
- Christian Jaag & Martin Koller & Urs Trinkner, 2008. "Calculating the Cost of the Universal Service Obligation: The Need for a Global Approach," Working Papers 0010, Swiss Economics, revised Jul 2008.
- Helmut M. Dietl & Christian Jaag & Markus Lang & Urs W.O. Trinkner, 2011.
"Competition and Welfare Effects of VAT Exemptions,"
The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy,
De Gruyter, vol. 11(1), pages 19.
- Helmut Dietl & Christian Jaag & Markus Lang & Urs Trinkner, 2010. "Competition and Welfare Effects of VAT Exemptions," Working Papers 0133, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU).
- Helmut Dietl & Christian Jaag & Markus Lang & Urs Trinkner, 2010. "Competition and Welfare Effects of VAT Exemptions," Working Papers 0024, Swiss Economics, revised Oct 2010.
- Christian Jaag & Urs Trinkner, 2011. "The interaction between universal service costing and financing in the postal sector: a calibrated approach," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 89-110, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Jaag).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.