Spreads Soberanos: ¿Diferencian los Inversionistas Internacionales entre Economías Emergentes?
AbstractThis paper examines the global investors’ behavior related to emerging markets assets, controlling by credit rating. Hence, a particular interest is set on reviewing whether these global agents do differentiate between investment grade and non-investment grade emerging economies once they face shocks to international financial markets. It is interesting to explore how these investors look at Chile in comparison to other emerging economies both ranked in a similar credit rating notch and neighbor ones. Thus, this study aim at analyzing the main hypotheses raised on investment differentiation by credit rating and inter-regional contagion based upon the performance of the sovereign spread volatility of emerging markets economies. The main results support the hypothesis that a clear differentiation from global investors about emerging markets cannot be observed during tranquil periods. However, a higher preference can be observed for better credit rating assets under periods of turbulence in the international financial markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Central Bank of Chile in its series Working Papers Central Bank of Chile with number 332.
Date of creation: Sep 2005
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mico Loretan & William B. English, 2000. "Evaluating "correlation breakdowns" during periods of market volatility," International Finance Discussion Papers 658, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1998.
"On crises, contagion, and confusion,"
13709, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roberto Rigobon, 2002.
"Contagion: How to Measure It?,"
in: Preventing Currency Crises in Emerging Markets, pages 269-334
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Valentín Délano & Jorge Selaive, 2005. "Spreads Soberanos: Una Aproximación Factorial," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 309, Central Bank of Chile.
- Álvaro García & Valentina Paredes, 2006. "Sovereign Spreads and Contagion Effect," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 385, Central Bank of Chile.
- Rodrigo Alfaro & Natán Goldberger, 2012. "Cubrir o no Cubrir: ¿Ese es el Dilema?," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 662, Central Bank of Chile.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.